Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2002 C230 Coupe with 33,000 miles on it. I know the seller, and she gave me a receipt for the service she had done at 30,000 miles (which included an oil change). I was driving this weekend (car now has about 33,700 miles) and the check engine oil level warning came on. I checked it and it was 2 quarts low!! Plus the oil on the dip stick looked a lot older than 3,700 miles (but I am no expert). 2 quarts low seems like a lot to me. Is this normal, or should I take it in to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
the way the oil looks has almost nothing to do with the condition it's in or the length of time since the last oil change. 2 quarts low is quite a bit. i'd recommend having the dealer start an oil consumption test on your vehicle. they'll set the level, take a measurement and have you drive the car. in bout 600-1000 miles they'll have you come back to see if there is a consumption issue. keep in mind MB says that burning a liter of oil ievery 1000km is normal. pretty ridiculous, but whatever. they will be able to tell if the oil was changed at that time by the oil readings stored in the IC. it's worth a trip in though, as oil is not one of those things that should ever be left to chance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts