Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm in the market to sell my C320 Avantgarde at the moment. And I've decided to do it via private sale. However, I am paranoid about being car jacked or robbed or similar while in the process.

It is not uncommon to happen, and I was just wondering if people on this forum could give some advice on the best and safest way on handling a private sale, and maybe a few tips on how to get the best deal too!

Thanks heaps!

btw, I'm selling a 2001 C320 Avantgarde with a Carlsson body kit, Carlsson quad exhaust system, Eibach springs, 18x8.5 Brabus Monoblock VI - two piece with Bridgestone S-03 rubber.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Always ask for the phone number and call prospective buyers back to arrange meeting. Meet prospective buyer in a public place other than your home or work, have someone with you to stay with his or her car while they test drive your car with you. Note license plate number for their vehicle before the test drive. Request and record drivers license info prior to test drive and most important refuse test drive if you are uneasy.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
craniusmaximus said:
Always ask for the phone number and call prospective buyers back to arrange meeting. Meet prospective buyer in a public place other than your home or work, have someone with you to stay with his or her car while they test drive your car with you. Note license plate number for their vehicle before the test drive. Request and record drivers license info prior to test drive and most important refuse test drive if you are uneasy.

Good Luck
thanks for the tips... it was really informative. One question, what if during the test drive, the prospective buyer damages your wheel or something. How do I make him/her pay for it or for any other damage to the vehicle?

do I just report him to the police if he refuses?! what proof do I have that he damaged it? Or do I bring a mate along during the test drive?

Thanks once again.

·
Registered
127 Posts
shuto said:
craniusmaximus said:

Good Luck
thanks for the tips... it was really informative. One question, what if during the test drive, the prospective buyer damages your wheel or something. How do I make him/her pay for it or for any other damage to the vehicle?

do I just report him to the police if he refuses?! what proof do I have that he damaged it? Or do I bring a mate along during the test drive?

Thanks once again.
That where your insurance comes in very useful, other than them volunteering to pay, that's about your only option. I guess you could ask for a security deposit, but that would go over like lead balloons, and probably drive perspective buyers away….fast. Odds are nothing like that will happen and if it did and there properly insured there coverage might possibly take the claim.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have a couple of options here as to prospective damage:

1) Do what most people do and just hope that nothing happens. In the unlikely event that it does, you can file a claim w/ your insurance company to take care of the damages. This is the route that most car dealers take as well.

2) You can ask the person to sign a waiver to accept responsibility for any damages that occur to your vehicle, personal property (yours and others), and bodily injury that may occur on the test drive. This is likely to scare some people away, but basicaly you are just asking them to be responsible for their actions.

ALWAYS take a look at the person's drivers license and record their info. You can also ask for proof of current insurance coverage as well before they get behing the wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts