Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 C280, 95K miles.

I have pulled the P0170 and P0173 error codes from the computer. At the same time, while I was driving with these codes, I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary until the car began to occasioanlly surge (a little below red line) for a small gas pedal depression, and a driver's side cylinder misfire (Cylinder 4,5,6) error code. I noticed this one, it bucked terribly.

I am tempted to replace the MAF, I have done some cleaning with a MAF cleaner, but no change. I have replaced spark plugs, air filter, and fuel filter. One thing that has me worried is that the passenger and driver's side floor is getting warmer than usual. Could the catalytic converters be warming up too much?

Any ideas will be helpful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had luck cleaning my MAF with a P0170 but I didn't have a 173. I am told the 170 is common with a bad MAF. A vacuum leak can also cause any of those codes or a surge also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
P0170

You may want to change the mass air sensor insert yourself. It's as easy as a snap. I just changed mine and it works. I had pick-up problem for almost 6 months. I looked at many websites to find a solution which was affordable. Called the dealer too to get a standard response - $99 for diagnosis + parts + labor. Not knowing what parts they would replace and how much they would charge I decided to try it on my own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BAD MAF

Thanks everyone for the help.

Even though the sensor didnt report being defected, it was the cause of the fuel trim malfunctions. I bought a new air filter and MAF, installed both late last week, and have been running without the check engine light ever since. Also, the car gear transitions are better. Much smoother feel. On the next fill up ill check for fuel consumption.

P0173 and P0170 are the classic codes for bad MAFs. I went to an independent mechanic who doesnt charge for diagnosis and he immediately said it was a bad MAF.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Re: BAD MAF

rcend said:
P0173 and P0170 are the classic codes for bad MAFs. I went to an independent mechanic who doesnt charge for diagnosis and he immediately said it was a bad MAF.
Usually. I wouldn't say always, though. I've ran into my share of vacuum leaks, plugged intakes or exhausts, leaky injectors, clogged fuel filters to cause the same codes and complaints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts