Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed on my car the the paint layer is very very thin.
The paint chips very easily.
I read in a review that this is a problem with 2002 models.

Am I the only one who has noticed this ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Alas, I have noticed it too. I have a few of the inevitible chips from stones thrown up on the highway. The white spots they leave really look bad on a black car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
yep i have noticed this too...is there anything we can do...like write a collective letter of complaint to mercedes or something? i mean the paint layer is extremly thin.

I'm going to buy one of those pain pens from autovisuals...see if they are any good. I will post my results along with a before and after picture once i receieve the pen (Which will probably be in 2 weeks or so as i live abroad).

Any other idea on how to fix little chips like this would be good :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regardless what I write here I love my Mercedes ...

This car is great and the price is good. So Mercedes had to save money somewhere. One of those places where they saved is the painting and the upholster. However on the painting they went too far.

Car painting is very expensive (if good quality).
I think they have saved round $500 per car.

If interested in a good review have a look on this Canadian site.
It is only in french :( :(

http://www.auto-stop.net/essais/essaiv2.php?id=20

·
Registered
40 Posts
i agree, i love my car to bits, i wouldn't change it for anything..its annoying that the paint is so thin..sure..but hell any car is going to get scratched and chipped no matter how careful you are.

Believe me, i am extremly careful with my car, always cleaning it, ever so cautious of where i park etc..but innivetably these things happen..i just hope the pen i bought from autovisuals does the job.

And as for reviews hehe i went through loads of them before i bought the car..and they all gave it a brilliant review

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah, I'm not knocking the paint job (although a few more microns wouldn't hurt). It just breaks your heart to lavish care on your car and then have a nasty white chip in the front because some butthead in front of you tossed up a stone. :x Unavoidable, I'm afraid... but I have started to back off a bit and not follow so close!

·
Registered
16 Posts
andkovacs: i notice the same things, i just got my c230k 1 month ago and the bumper and hood look like a firering range, i'm going to get it repainted next spring. but it seems like it was cheaply painted.

P.S. where in Montreal are you at? I'm from the westisland.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well guys, hopefully i will recieve my pen from autovisuals soon and i can post pictures of before and after..im actually VERY hesistant on trying this..but hell..if it does the job..for $20 it will be great to cover up those nasty little chips.

No matter what..i love this car..i drive it everyday and i just cant fault it..yeah sure thin paint..but it still looks gorgeous dont it 8)

·
Registered
40 Posts
heh..sorry i didn't realise i was being assesed on my grammer here :p ...u got the picture though of what i was trying to say :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
well if its from being washed at the dealer...surely they would have to pay for the damages?...a free respray wouldn't you say?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts