Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Mercedes ML350 and I’m getting the message “Parking Brake See Operator Manual” and the yellow parking brake light stays on also. I stopped using my parking brake because the left rear brake was getting stuck and won’t disengage so I would have to play with the parking brake switch to get it to unlock.
I replaced the parking Brake switch but the lights still stay on. I did a computer diagnostic and got 2 faults with the Parking Brake.
1. The position of component Electric Parking Brake is Implausible
2. The left brake caliper is faulty. An open circuit exists.
Can someone tell me if this could be a faulty sensor on the left rear wheel or something else?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since nobody has answered I'll take a stab. I'd assume the brake lever switch isn't "feeling" the brake lever, meaning it needs adjustment or needs a shim so it's being pushed and works again. You were in there so I'd assume you verified that, but fyi in case you didn't. As for the other, I'd crawl under that axle and start poking around. I assume it's cable operated brakes? If so then look for that cable and wriggle it etc to be sure it's not somehow bound up or bent. If all looks good it's likely mechanism itself. I assume it's a mini set of pads? If so I assume it's also visible? Freeing it up could be as easy as spraying the thing with WD40. As for the open wire, it's gotta be right there on the brake. Open suggest broken, or broken switch or something but I really don't know because I never use parking brakes so I never have issues and therefore never bother to look at them.
Maybe you can find a schematic if you google parking brakes for that car, or maybe someone has a youtube vid of changing the pads, that would be cool.
Sometimes when a sensor if giving me grief I'll cut it or short it, whichever makes the light go out. Sometimes said sensor, or device it's looking at, is important enough to fix. For me this would be a perfect example. Sorry I don't have the perfect answer, but better than nothing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts