Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a friend with a 1984 300d Turbo who is visiting from out of town, and I am trying to help him find a part that just broke on his car. I was faxed a page to help me identify the part, and it is #26 on the image below. I am not 100% what it is called. You can click on the image for a larger, more detailed view:

[

This is the part that has the timing marks on it. It is the thing that bolts directly to the crankshaft, the harmonic balancer bolts to this part, and the crankshaft pulley bolts to the harmonic balancer.

Does anyone have any suggestions where we can find a used one fast and cheap? It is available from the dealership, and very expensive. We have the old one off and some how the two dowel pins got sheared off and the whole assembly was free spinning on the crank. I guess it was a combination of age and neglect... There is no visible or measurable damage to the crankshaft, but this counter weight (or whatever it is called) did get damaged enough to warrant its replacement.

Thank you for taking the time to help out a first time poster. I am all about my TDI golf, and I am saving up for an old TD Unimog... I told my buddy that all he really needs is a new set of spark plugs and to loosen up those fan belts; a little blinker fluid and brake grease, and he should be fine!

-Fang

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome!

The quickest and cheapest will likely be the local boneyard. The 617 engine was quite common, being used in most U.S. Mer-B diesel applications from the late 70's thru the mid 80's, so finding one should be quite easy. I don't know if this part was the same for the turbo and non-turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone fro the help. The part is called a Crankshaft Counter Weight, and it costs about $380 from the local dealership. I found a used one for $160, and the car will be coming back together today.

Thanks again!
-Fang

1 - 4 of 4 Posts