Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brand new 2003 E320 with 2,200 miles on it. It has now been in the shop three times (over 12 days out of service) for persistent electrical problems. The problems include:

- Battery draining, which cuts out all convenience features, such as heated seats, heated steering wheel, interior lighting, etc. Usually goes away after driving 15 or so miles. The battery has already been replaced once.

- Radio command center with navigation: radio either shuts down completely while in use, or will not power up at all. Takes three to four restarts of the engine to correct. Also radio seems to seek satellite transmissions without being asked to do so! Radio does not respond to attempts to change volume when this happens.

I am curious to know whether anyone else has had similar problems with the '03, and what, if anything, MB has done about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2003 E320 electrical problems

I have also had some problems with the radio and other electrical components including the homelink system, power windows, etc.

Last week the dealer downloaded an update software for the radio which should eliminate the error messages and static. The homelink system never has worked and the dealer has basically thrown up their hands indicating it is my garage door hardware problem. ( I also own an 01 Lexus LS430 which operates the garage door just fine)

Power windows have had a few quirks but nothing to notify dealer yet. Entry/Exit feature on drivers power seat sometimes forgets what to do and passenger power headrest has a mind of it's own.

This is the first Mercedes product my wife and I have owned and so far we have mixed feelings after 3500 miles. Love the looks, comfort, ride and ergonomics. Dealer treatment is on par with GM; not even close to the treatment received at Lexus or Acura. We will wait a year and see what happens. I hear Lexus is comming out with a new GS for 05.

Feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a neighbour who is a personal car buyer and deals with high end cars quite a bit. He tells me that some of his clients that purchased the new E320 have had many electrical problems. One person's car has been in the shop for more days that he has driven it.

If you search the web, you will find many stories about numerous electrical/computer/software problems on high end cars. The electronics have become quite complex and are not thoroughly tested. I read that Bosch no longer supplies the electronics for Benz and they switch suppliers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Memory Seat

"Entry/Exit feature on drivers power seat sometimes forgets what to do and passenger power headrest has a mind of it's own."

My power seat has never moved rearward even though it is set to do so with the wheel. Is there somewhere I have to "memorize" the exit position that I want the seat to travel to, as there is with the passenger side mirror looking downward memory position when the car is put into reverse?

I must say, that being 6"2' 250 lbs, I tend to have the seat almost all of the way back when I'm in my normal driving position. Maybe the computer would only have moved the seat almost that far back to begin with, and it considers the seat already in an exit position?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One person's car has been in the shop for more days that he has driven it.
That's our situation.

As of the end of last week, the dealer has agreed to get us out of this vehicle and into an 04 E320 at no cost to us. We can only hope that the bugs have been worked out for the new model year.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Crackle, Pop, Quit '04 E 500 Comand HK Radio

:cry: I witnessed the famous crackeling, pop, and radio shut off for 2-3 seconds, 3 times last night within a minute, when I started my car last night in stunned silence. (1st payment due next week) Temp outside was 22 degrees (Long Island). I wonder if there is some component in the radio that is very cold sensitive and fails to perform in cold weather. Once the car reached 70 degrees inside, the radio worked fine, and did this morning...when it was still cold, but sunlight was hitting the dashboard & Comand head unit since dawn.

I thought MB had fixed this problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we're out of the '03 and into an '04 E320, which arrived yesterday.

Here's hoping this works out better...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Electrical Problems

Would you say, after thinking about it, that the electrical problems are temperature sensitive problems. Might they be occuring in very cold temperatures, and not in warm weather?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Our problems began in mid-September. We live in the Boston area, and it was very mild at the time, so my guess would be that the problems were not climate-related.

The '04 has all of 194 miles on it, but no problems so far...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Boston/NY

Get your car at Herb Chambers? Mine exhibited flawless performance untill 1st payment made 30 days 1000 miles, however it has been flawless since then.
Do you notice a rough downshift into 1st gear when coming to a slow full stop when the car is very cold, untill it has been driven 1/2 mile or so? (7 spd trans)

Do you have memory seat & wheel when you exit the car? Does the seat move back for exit when programmed to? Only my wheel moves even though both are programmed to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We bought at Viti in Rhode Island.

Haven't programmed the memory seat yet, so no problems to report.

So far, it's been flawless...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar electrical problem with my E270 CDi Estate - the warning "Battery Protection: Convenience Functions Temporarily Unavailable" is forever coming on - mainly part-way through a journey, and staying on for the remainder of that journey.

Particularly inconvenient is the lack of SBC-Hold during this period - especially as the car has a 6-speed manual gearbox! Also, when you arrive home late at night, and the interior lighting fails to function - collecting one's belongings from the car in the dark is sometimes quite a challenge.

It's going in to hopefully be sorted tomorrow - I'll keep you posted on the success, or otherwise, of the remedy! :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
UPDATED SOTWARE FOR AUDIO GATEWAY IS TO BE FLASHED
"CONSUMERS OFFLINE" MESSAGE IN WHITE-NORMAL
IT IS JUST A MESSAGE SAYING THAT BATTERY VOLTAGE IS LOW
MAY TURN OFF SEAT HEATERS, PASS. POWER SEAT ETC.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts