Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your input! This past week my 300D was totaled by a "distracted driver." :evil: Thankfully my son and I are O.K. but my car is smashed. I have located several that are reasonably close to me and need some help narrowing the field. Here they are:

87-300TD Wagon 361K miles for $2995
85-300TD 232K miles for $2000
85-300D for $2500
84-300SD 197K for $3000
84-300DT 210K for $2600

The listings are as their ads read. I want my MB back, but since that is not going to happen, I'll have to settle for another one.

Any and all help is greatly anticipated. Please share your years under the hood and car with a relative MB newby.

THANK YOU !!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Sorry to hear about your wreck, but congrats on being able to shop for a new toy. All the cars you listed are good choices, but my own preference is to steer away from the SD just because I don't like cars that big. Good car, comfortable car, just bigger than I like.

Though I don't have one, my current preference would be for a wagon as well. Particularly an '87 300TD. These are rare cars (in the US) since not many of the excellent OM603 (6-cylinder 3.0 liter turbodiesel) engines made it over in the 124 chassis, '87 being the only year. The model year does have some drawbacks, though. see:http://www.benzforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1403&highlight=cylinder+head
It is a problem to be aware of and be sure to inspect before purchase. Also is the "trap oxidizer" recall, which I know has been discussed here. Computer controls make things only slighlty more complicated than older models, and probably benfits the fuel economy

The '87 is the quickest and the best handling benz that you can get for that money, and even more fuel efficient. I recall reading somewhere that only something like (don't quote me on this) 1,000 or 1,500 were imported. It also offers safety benefits over the older 123 chassis in offering ABS and airbags.

A weak point and benefit for both wagons is the self-leveling rear suspension. While and excellent benefit, and reliable, they are a point of neglect. Now bear in mind that I have no hands-on experience with this setup. My understanding is that the rear shocks are basically hydraulic rams feeding to their own respective reservoirs and powered by a pump o the front of the engine and actuated by some switches. The "shocks" (insert the "as I understand it" disclaimer again), are often replaced with the rest of the components though they don't have to be. Just check for any visible leaks is my guess. Anyway, the fluid should be changed on these things at regular intervals, and the resevoirs and hoses ar typical service items. If you are a DIY, this is not a big deal until you do the shock (as I understand it ). Take it to the shop, and it will be pricey.

I also do like the older '84 wagon (123 chassis) that you mentioned for some advantages that it has over the 124's. One is the very robust 617 engine AND that it is a turbo, as all the 123 diesels were from '82 on. Another is that it is a bit wider and more comfortable than the 124. The lack of airbags or ABS also simplify things. This is a very reliable car. I feel that the 123's were built more solidly than the 124's, but that has been my basic impression and I have nothing to back that up with (except I did wreck my 123 a few times).

I guess it is really a matter of what you want. Reliability being most important want put me shopping for the '84. Airbags, ABS, and power would put me in the '87 (from the options presented).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a 1983 300D 167K in Troy, MI. saw it in the collector cars trader. It runs pretty good air is cool, no rust. It's owned by an older gentleman who wants $4700, a bit high buy he may deal a little as it's been around for quite some time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts