Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a message I posted in response to Stefano on another site. I'm curious what ya'll think about the antenna. Did you ever experiment with placement? What results?

Rib

Originally Posted by sfloriII

Hello all:

I've got XM radio in my car. About a month ago, I noticed a drop in signal quality across the board along with complete signal loss quite often.

I've checked the connections in the trunk and they're fine.

There are times when reception is fine, but for the most part, I get two out of three bars on the meter and complete signal dropouts.

Any ideas? It's the original Becker head unit with a Pioneer receiver. I also have La Jolla Audio's direct line connection from the receiver for true CD quality sound. I also don't want to pay Meyer Emco $50/hour to see what's wrong if it's an easy fix!

Thanks!!

Hey Stefano, et al.

I have the cheap XM receiver now (the one that runs through the casette on my Becker). I've been experimenting with antenna placement. I started with the antenna dead in the middle and slowly moved it and rotated it first left then right across the dash.

In the course of this ongoing experiment, I found something that really surprised me: The best reception in the cabin is right against the windshield in front of the passenger. Interestingly, this conforms with the placement advice given on another thread (sorry, I can't give credit to the author) in which he'd run the antenna lead under the speaker grill and down through the dash to the XM receiver/decoder.

I wonder if this observation can be confirmed by anybody else? Does the doorpost act as a waveguide? Is there an engineer in the house?

Bot

·
Banned
357 Posts
Are you talking about the signal from the satellite or the FM modulator?

You will get drop outs in cities and heavily wooded areas from the satellite. If you are in a dreaded dead spop area Sirius would be better beacause they have 4 geosynchronous birds.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yall hurry up and settle this one. I plan to get one or the other soon. I just don't want Sirius to think I came to them because of Howard Stern!! 8O So I'm really leaning towards XM.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Cap'n Carageous said:
Yall hurry up and settle this one. I plan to get one or the other soon. I just don't want Sirius to think I came to them because of Howard Stern!! 8O So I'm really leaning towards XM.
I've had both and think XM is much better. The main thing I like about XM is the stations don't play on a loop. I'm in the car on average of 7 hours a day so if the station is on a loop I will hear the same stuff the next day, Sirius has a very short loop and it became very boring after a couple weeks.

Sirius comedy isn't even funny.

Both had drop outs in wooded areas but it's very rare. If you live in a mountain state Sirius might be a better choice because of the multiple birds. On the other hand XM is outpacing Sirius installing ground based repeaters.

I also think XM has the upper hand on equipment.

Hope this helps.

The author is an XM and Sirius stockholder.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about Sirius. I got XM because my best friend who is a pro musician (and whose musical taste matches mine) said XM: 1) had a better selection; 2) that he has had no drops in service (he lives in rural North Louisiana); 3) the sound quality was excellent.

He liked the sound so much that he just spent $300 installing a subwoofer. No, he's not a ghetto bomber, he just likes the full range of sound and after listening to his system, I gotta say that the subwoofer adds a hell of a lot to any style of music. Cspecially considering the acousticly challenged interior of a car (his is in an SUV).

FYI, Sirius may have those qualities, too. I just don't know anybody who has it that isn't a kid in a car daddy bought him. Not my kind of music.

Howie, I use the 'thru-the-casette' input, so the FM is a non-issue. The XM lit and folks I've talked to both said that the FM solution sucks and that the casette connection was PDG. IMO, th ecasette solution sounds better than a casette and is NSD from a CD.

I have also run the antenna through teh sunroof and found NSD between the roof and the passenger speaker vicinity.

Yesterday I drove about 300 miles in mostly backwoods LA and only had a drop in one small town--DeRidder, LA. It was spotty near the high school. Bet those kids all use Sirius.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Oh how I love Deridder :evil:

There is no doubt that XM has better station selection and one little drop out on a 3oo mile trip is pretty good, I'm sure Sirius would have the same performance.

It'seems like your good to go, since sat radio is fairly new you can expect better reception as they launch more sat's.

For launch status and information check out http://www.skyreport.com/

Or www.xmfan.com

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Oh how I love DeRidder".

Yuck-yuck! Spoken like a veteran of hot, dusty roads in the back of a duece-n-ahalf.

My kid had a marching band competition there--which took best in show. She got a section leader award, too, which puffs ol' dad. She's also band VP. Quite the little politician.

I drove to DeRidder by way of Natchitoches. Then I didn't look at a map after leaving DeRidder and instead of going to Oakdale, I ended-up in Lake Charles. That's sort of like Tangas driving to Manastee by Rogers City, missing a turn and driving through Flint.

Did I tell you I'm a geographer?

Rib

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You do for XM. Its a reduced rate for subsequent receivers. I don't know about Sirus. I'm curious how they encode the signal so that many thousands of receivers get the same signal but only those that are activated can actually decode it.

Within minutes of getting my credit card number, I received the signal. I guess they put some code sequence that tells my receiver to activate. If each receiver has a different and unique code, then that's got to be a huge stream that comes across with the music. Unless they use two frequencies and one has the music and the other has the enabling code?

·
Banned
357 Posts
Ribulose Diphosphate said:
You do for XM. Its a reduced rate for subsequent receivers. I don't know about Sirus. I'm curious how they encode the signal so that many thousands of receivers get the same signal but only those that are activated can actually decode it.

Within minutes of getting my credit card number, I received the signal. I guess they put some code sequence that tells my receiver to activate. If each receiver has a different and unique code, then that's got to be a huge stream that comes across with the music. Unless they use two frequencies and one has the music and the other has the enabling code?
Your receiver has a coded eeprom, XM sends the serial number down and bammo activation.

It's digital so only one frequency is needed, the XM signal is a datastream.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I currently have two XM receivers; I won't buy another car without satellite radio. A couple of advantages with Sirius - 1. If you think they'll survive, you can buy a lifetime membership for $499; since they're adding Howard Stern in 2006, his fan base alone should keep them from going under. 2. Sirius broadcasts live over the internet, so if you have broadband you can listen at home or in the office without buying an extra receiver/additional subscription.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sirius also has the multiple satellite thing going for it--which should be a big deal for you mountain guys. Us flatlanders don't care.

Howie, thanks for the explanation. That clears it up for me.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Sirius also has the multiple satellite thing going for it--which should be a big deal for you mountain guys. Us flatlanders don't care.

Howie, thanks for the explanation. That clears it up for me.
It was a pretty vague explaination but I figure you don't need too much in depth tutoring.

Analog is dead!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've just got the XM "Roadie" and I can pick up with the antenna inside my house (I got a 12V power supply inside). When I put it in my 'cedes, I just leave the antenna on the back seat and it works fine.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
narwhal said:
I've just got the XM "Roadie" and I can pick up with the antenna inside my house (I got a 12V power supply inside). When I put it in my 'cedes, I just leave the antenna on the back seat and it works fine.
Dayyem, Nar, you must be sitting right under the satellite. I have the Roadie II, too (don't mess with my II, too), and I gotta have it in certain places in my car or it fails. Are your windows tinted?

·
Banned
357 Posts
narwhal said:
Dayyem, Nar, you must be sitting right under the satellite. I have the Roadie II, too (don't mess with my II, too), and I gotta have it in certain places in my car or it fails. Are your windows tinted?
I think you have an antenna problem B.

although the satellite signal is line of site you can pick it up indoors sometimes.

They do make better aftermarket antenna's.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Howitzer said:
narwhal said:
I think you have an antenna problem B.

although the satellite signal is line of site you can pick it up indoors sometimes.

They do make better aftermarket antenna's.
Thanks Howie. I'll get a check on that from the local audio shop where I trade. I'll get them to do teh install anyway so they may as well sell me a good antenna, too. Got any suggestions? Anybody?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts