Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello can you please advise the best diagnostic tool for this car that will scan ALL MERCEDES SYSTEMS not just engine faults / generic obd2 errors...

2003 CL600 (C215) Mercedes
(5.5L twin turbo v12 - facelift)

·
Administrator
889 Posts
You would have to invest in the Mercedes STAR SDS system.
There are lots of pirated Chinese clone copies so be careful if you go down that route!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've been looking for info on what will work on what and I've found next to no info. So basically I'm looking at spending $2500 for an Autel that I assume will do what what I want simply because it's their best model, but I really don't know if will actually do what I want. So I feel your pain... If you just want to scan only then I'm guessing an Autel in the $500+ range but again I'm unclear as to what a $1k model does in comparo. It may be one of those things where you think you're getting what you want, then that one critical feature is missing but is available in the next model up. That's my problem, I don't want to spend 1k and find out it's useless and I need the $2500 model.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ordered an ICARSOFT MB v2.0. Waiting to receive it. I will tell you the feedback after I get it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes please! I think for a lot of us we want to read tranny codes, which is apparently something most can't do? Again, so little info to go on...
For me, no matter what happens, I do NOT want to have the dealer or anyone do anything ever. So if I have to swap out and program a tranny, I want that ability... And if you consider the cost to have misc bs work done then a very expensive tool starts looking pretty reasonable.
Ideally I'd like to be able to alter the trans shifting to get away from the super annoying shifting bs it does now, and for that I'd pay but I don't know if any of these can alter anything at all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tompson: I don't think any tool in that price range is going to see anything but the most basic stuff. If it can read tranny and U codes etc let us know, but the cheapest one I've found that will is the $70 Autel. I think the Autel was like dongle #5 or so for me. The others were from $10 to $50 units like the OBDLink LX, which only read the basic P codes. So imo either get a $10 unit or the $70 Autel because others did nothing the $10 could not. The $10 unit was actually the best one because it was just as fast data wise but connected in seconds where the OBDLink LX took minutes to work, often >10min. I forget the brand but it was a little translucent blue guy.

Fyi, since I posted last I also tried Xentry which didn't see anything more than the $70 Autel did. Xentry has more features and abilities, and scanning was much faster, but the codes were the same which for me were some misc U codes about missing light bulbs, a random comm error with the pass headrest and misc other crap that was not important. The point is the Autel saw all that stuff too so I was impressed, but it slooow and no instructions so it may take a while to learn.

·
Administrator
889 Posts
Tompson: I don't think any tool in that price range is going to see anything but the most basic stuff. If it can read tranny and U codes etc let us know, but the cheapest one I've found that will is the $70 Autel. I think the Autel was like dongle #5 or so for me. The others were from $10 to $50 units like the OBDLink LX, which only read the basic P codes. So imo either get a $10 unit or the $70 Autel because others did nothing the $10 could not. The $10 unit was actually the best one because it was just as fast data wise but connected in seconds where the OBDLink LX took minutes to work, often >10min. I forget the brand but it was a little translucent blue guy.

Fyi, since I posted last I also tried Xentry which didn't see anything more than the $70 Autel did. Xentry has more features and abilities, and scanning was much faster, but the codes were the same which for me were some misc U codes about missing light bulbs, a random comm error with the pass headrest and misc other crap that was not important. The point is the Autel saw all that stuff too so I was impressed, but it slooow and no instructions so it may take a while to learn.
Thanks for those very interesting reviews (y)

Just out of interest how does the $70 Autel handle older MB models?
With my two pre year 2000 models, Xentry has to use the HHTWIN option that is very clunky. It does the job though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wish I could say but I've only tried the Autel on my '16 model and I don't think I know anyone with a Benz that old. I suppose you could buy it via Amazon and if it doesn't pan out then return it? Like I returned my OBDLink for not living up to their claim of being 300% faster and being an overall pita. I almost returned the Autel for being a pita too because the app and my phone did not get along. So I bought a tablet (Dragon Touch Max10) just for it but when I tried to load the app via google play it denied me saying the tablet was not compatible. So I had to make a backup copy of the app on my phone, xfer that to the tablet and install, then I was good. Poking around it can see and trend stuff like cam timing, ign timing, inj timing and misc things I never expected. It was in a totally different league than the less expensive dongles. You get to use it on one make of car for free, so I chose Benz obviously. If you want to use it on any other brand you have to pay. I guess that's how they try to recoup some $ but all I want is the one so I'm happy. It only works with the Autel app btw, so you still need a $10 dongle if you want to use Torque Pro etc... So that's what I have now, the $10 and the Autel. Fyi my cheapie dongle is Amazon # B00PJPHEBO
The ThinkDriver looks like it might be similar to the Autel, maybe, but that's impossible to confirm and impossible to understand what it costs because only the most basic code reader function is free. Any advanced features cost more $. Every time I read an ad for it it gives different info on the cost of unlocking said features and for how long they stay unlocked. I even asked the mfg and it was like asking a politician, I just got more confusing information and still no actual answer. My guess is it's meant to be confusing to lure people into spending more than they planned, so F'em.

·
Administrator
889 Posts
I wish I could say but I've only tried the Autel on my '16 model and I don't think I know anyone with a Benz that old. I suppose you could buy it via Amazon and if it doesn't pan out then return it? Like I returned my OBDLink for not living up to their claim of being 300% faster and being an overall pita. I almost returned the Autel for being a pita too because the app and my phone did not get along. So I bought a tablet (Dragon Touch Max10) just for it but when I tried to load the app via google play it denied me saying the tablet was not compatible. So I had to make a backup copy of the app on my phone, xfer that to the tablet and install, then I was good. Poking around it can see and trend stuff like cam timing, ign timing, inj timing and misc things I never expected. It was in a totally different league than the less expensive dongles. You get to use it on one make of car for free, so I chose Benz obviously. If you want to use it on any other brand you have to pay. I guess that's how they try to recoup some $ but all I want is the one so I'm happy. It only works with the Autel app btw, so you still need a $10 dongle if you want to use Torque Pro etc... So that's what I have now, the $10 and the Autel. Fyi my cheapie dongle is Amazon # B00PJPHEBO
The ThinkDriver looks like it might be similar to the Autel, maybe, but that's impossible to confirm and impossible to understand what it costs because only the most basic code reader function is free. Any advanced features cost more $. Every time I read an ad for it it gives different info on the cost of unlocking said features and for how long they stay unlocked. I even asked the mfg and it was like asking a politician, I just got more confusing information and still no actual answer. My guess is it's meant to be confusing to lure people into spending more than they planned, so F'em.
Thanks again for your input, it's very much appreciated.

I suppose these days there aren't so many old Benz's about so it sounds like your solution is the way to go.
I mentioned the STAR SDS system and Chinese clones, with these you have to be very careful. Many have tried to copy/clone the HDD that comes with the used laptop*, the result is that the HDD locks and is unusable, we call it the 'Chinese Lock'.
It's ironic that the Chinese pirate the software from MB then protect it from their buyers copying it.

Those that do still have a pre 2000 Benz can always use "Bob Terry's" paper clip and LED bulb method to read the number of blinks from the 38 pin diagnostic socket. Before I bought my STAR SDS system I used this method albeit slightly modified.

*The used laptops supplied by the Chinese sellers of the STAR SDS system are usually old, well used Dell or LeNovo laptops, probably ex military that were loaded with Asian pron :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
The Xentry/Star I tried on mine was a chinese copy (chinacardiag C4 model), which was a bit of a pita to get working since I bought the hard drive instead of a laptop ready to go. Reason I went that route is I didn't want to use some old slow laptop with a little screen which is what they offer. I mention this because I did copy the old used slow drive they gave me to a faster SSD I had. This wasn't too hard and I used Ghost to do it. The way they secure it, apparently, is you have to send them a hardware ID code # that is unique to your computer, or at least to your model, then they send you a code to unlock the software. Then you have to go through a pita crack process. Not that it's really that hard to do, it's a pita because the instructions are difficult to follow and incorrect. Most everyone knows that all chinese instructions are like that... So if I shared the original drive image the next guy would need to request a code using their hardware ID and if you don't have an acct (proof of purchase) then I'd imagine no soup for you! If I were to attempt to get it working on another PC I would make a copy of my already cracked/up and running drive which would normally work with pretty much all software but I'd imagine it still checks your hardware ID? This is probably the "chinese lock" you mentioned. I'm sure there's a hardware ID crack that could be used to bypass that but it doesn't really matter since the software is somewhat cheap, it's the interface that costs the $. The hard drive w/ software was like 10% of my overall cost.
I'd imagine Xentry is better than an expensive Autel since it's what the dealer uses, but just a guess since I don't know the capabilities of either. The package does include other software as well, which is apparently helpful for MB but I haven't played with it and there are no instructions. When I ran it on my car I was hoping it would find something the $70 Autel did not, but no. I guess if you don't have an error code you're SOL, which is where I am. Almost all issues I have with all cars have no code, and when they do have a code it's wrong. Back around 2008 I had an O2 sensor code that was correct but I think that's the only correct code I've ever had. I should say the only correct code that matters because it'll read unimportant stuff correctly, like a missing light bulb, but it also says several other unimportant things are not working when in fact they work fine. So really, so far, it's only proven to be a $500 light bulb detector. For real problems I'm apparently on my own to figure out and am unwilling to spend thousands of $ for a professional to tell me they can't find anything either. If they charged only if they can find/fix it I'd do it, but I'd bet $ I'll be paying for nothing.
My current issue is a '16 E550 and the wategates are regulating to a much lower psi and killing power. Basically 8psi or less when it should be 14. Yes the turbos are fine, no I don't have leaks. The computer is commanding the wastegates to open.... Why? No clue... I cannot find any info on why it would decide to reduce psi like that. So I may have to sell yet another nice car due to mystery computer issues. It took me years to find this somewhat rare car with all the features, colors, mileage etc I wanted so I'm trying my best to fix it rather than sell it.
So if anyone happens to have a clue what it is, or any info at all, I'm all ears.

·
Administrator
889 Posts
My current issue is a '16 E550 and the wategates are regulating to a much lower psi and killing power. Basically 8psi or less when it should be 14. Yes the turbos are fine, no I don't have leaks. The computer is commanding the wastegates to open.... Why? No clue... I cannot find any info on why it would decide to reduce psi like that. So I may have to sell yet another nice car due to mystery computer issues. It took me years to find this somewhat rare car with all the features, colors, mileage etc I wanted so I'm trying my best to fix it rather than sell it.
So if anyone happens to have a clue what it is, or any info at all, I'm all ears.
Not the same engine , but on a single turbo MB I had an erratic wastegate problem was the the boost sensor that affected turbo boost pressure. However if you have dual turbos with exactly the same problem, it does sound like an ECU issue

1 - 12 of 12 Posts