Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I searched all my normal places to find information on this topic, and have not found the information that I need.

Car 2008 c300 non 4matic

My good friend got in to an accident due to hydroplane on freeway. It bent all the lateral links on the rear driver side. I have all the parts and upon removing the control arm the bolt in the subframe snapped flush.
My question is should I drill out the bolt and find a new bolt or should I press a new bushing. I should add that I cannot figure out what bushing to purchase, or know where to find the proper bolt.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

· Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
988 Posts
I found this description for all of the parts, if you mouse over the highlighted numbers it gives the complete description and a price.
Number 17 is described as a "Lower Insulator", not a bush.
Any snapped off bolt should be drilled out. If it is snapped in a threaded portion, use a drill size less the thread diameter, and make sure the drill is centered properly. I always use a small drill to make pilot hole, then follow through with the larger drill.
Once it's drilled out it should be easy to measure the required length and thread pitch diameter. Any automotive grade bolt will be OK.

· Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
988 Posts
OK, as far as I can see from those photos, it does not look like the original MB bolt, it's too long which is why it probably broke in the first place.
If it were me, I would try two things!
First thouroughly clean up the rusted thread that is protuding from the bolt with a wire brush, better with a battery drill and wire brush.
Spray with multi-uso and attempt to wind it back from the way that it was turned in, clamping the very end of the bolt with a 'Mole' wrench or similar.
This should work, however it breaks off again, just drill it out and re-tap the thread and use a better quality bolt.

The rubber part looks OK which is why heating the area with a blowtorch is not a very good idea to facilitate removing the siezed bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts