Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have owned an E320 CDI (MY 2006) since new.
Issue: Head rest automatically rises as seat back is reclined but must be manually adjusted - by holding down power button to return. Dealer tried selling BS by explaining such operation was normal; intended for tall drivers in the family.
Seek comment from E350/E320 series owners. Thanks.

·
Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
947 Posts
Have owned an E320 CDI (MY 2006) since new.
Issue: Head rest automatically rises as seat back is reclined but must be manually adjusted - by holding down power button to return. Dealer tried selling BS by explaining such operation was normal; intended for tall drivers in the family.
Seek comment from E350/E320 series owners. Thanks.
Has this always happened since you bought it new, or a recent thing that you've noticed?

·
Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
947 Posts
Cannot remember if "always". Became an issue several years ago. Tried to ignore and simply work around by adjusting, using the button/switch.
From the W211 manual for your year it shows the headrest up/down as a separate switch/button

Organism Font Screenshot Technology Web page

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the W211 manual for your year it shows the headrest up/down as a separate switch/button

View attachment 10919

View attachment 10919
That is a known. You are correct. However, the issue is that headrest goes up by itself, automatically when seat-back is reclined - without touching the button. Remains UP when seat-back is returned. Then, pushing down on button is necessitated.

Keyword to my gripe is 'automatically'.

·
Super Moderator
1997 SL500 Sport pano triple black 2010 R350 - sold 2014 E350 - sold
89 Posts
Seems to me it is a feature MB added for some reason. I know my ‘97 SL will not allow me to have the seat bottom pushed all the way back without inclining the seat back upright, to avoid binding.
Perhaps your headrest goes up with the recline to provide more surface area - and you never said how far you’re reclining your seat back. A small recline, or full lay down to sleep recline?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Small recline triggers the headrest, while full recline pops it up to max height. Stays there until push-buttoned down.
Your surmise does make sense. Not a big issue. Guess, gotta live with it :).
Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same thing has always happened with mine. I assumed it was a (Germanic) safety feature, to prevent (sleeping?) driver from sliding backwards out of sea-belt in event of rear collision. These Germans think of everything !
Fixed - tentatively. Considered it a challenge. Here goes:

Shop manual, on official MB Compact Disc, only mentions synchronization procedure for sunroof.
Following similar procedure & with ignition ON, seat was moved to frontal-most position. Headrest was switched to max height, followed by min height. Headrest was, similarly, manipulated with seat in rearward-most position. In both instances I hit the unused Seat Memory button2. Voila, headrest remains at a given setting, irrespective of seat-back (recline) position. Attests to fact that automatic unwanted movement is an anomaly. Memory buttons do not capture headrest position.

Perhaps Shop Manual left out Synch. procedure because a host of variants of this series was produced for global market. One 'variant' description even mentions passenger seatback being used as a table in full reclined position, by rear-seat passenger. Saudi, Chauffeur driven? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts