Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Pre-Glow Indicator goes out as normal, but then comes back on again when the engine starts. There is no mention of this effect in the user manual, has anyone experienced this and is it serious.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I had a similar problem (intermittently) in one of my cars that went away when the glow plug relay was replaced. It is not supposed to do this, and I am uncertain of any effect it might have. I can only guess that it might cause early glow plug failure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You could test for current at the glow plug so you'd know if it is in fact getting current at an incorrect time. So far, any problem I've had with the system has related to faulty glow plug or timer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Derek said:
The Pre-Glow Indicator goes out as normal, but then comes back on again when the engine starts. There is no mention of this effect in the user manual, has anyone experienced this and is it serious.
I believe that: In other models, including my former 1984 300SD, this indicates bad relay (as cracker said) and/or one or more bad glow plugs.

Also on my former, car, when the alternator was bad the batt light and glow plug light simultaneously illuminated while driving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this problem for a few weeks now on my E220CDi - it eventually goes out after about 30 secs. Car running absolutely fine otherwise. starting Temps from 3-15 centigrade.

My usual garage man is nervous about touching the newer injection system than he trained on - anybody know whether we should check the injectors or the relay first? Bought the car 2nd hand with full MB service history a few years ago - no history on the plugs that I am aware of - but I could check with MB - done 123k miles

Cheers

·
Registered
678 Posts
When the light goes out, then comes back on, it simply means that there's a malfunction in the pre-glow system. Could be a number of things. If your car starts up fine, then there's probably a chance that only one of your glowplugs has probably failed. I would get it diagnosed and fixed though, as that cylinder will not function as efficiently as it should until it is repaired, and may eventually lead to other failures in that cylinder if ignored.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts