Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, just received the report and wanted to get some feedback from the hive mind.

95 S600 coupe with 55k miles. I'll start with the bad.
  • Left and right valve cover gaskets are leaking
  • Serpentine belt is cracking
  • Both air filters need to be replaced
  • Left front tire has dry rot
  • Car pulls slightly towards above tire at freeway speed
  • Driver's rear-view mirror is slightly loose
  • Switch to adjust above needs some fiddling before the mirror moves
  • Radio is completely dead
  • Alternator is covered in oil, but charges within spec
  • Passenger window doesn't close all the way via the switch, but will close when the alarm is armed.
Now the good.
  • All service records are present
  • No outstanding recalls
  • Transmission replaced a few thousand miles ago
  • No cosmetic issues.
I'm going to see about getting some repair estimates, and using those bargain with. Overall I think the vehicle is solid, but hey... Any input? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Everything seems like minor problems except the valve cover leaks and possibly the radio. To replace the valve cover gaskets on that thing, the intake manifold has to come off, and it's a pretty good PITA! If you are gonna have this done, make sure you check to see if your lower intake manifold plates are metal. Most likely you still have the plastic ones on, and they tend to warp, crack and cause nasty vacuum leaks. I'd replace them with the metal ones when you have the chance.

As for the radio, who knows what the problem is. Head unit? Wiring? Fuse? It might also get expensive quickly!

Are you gonna buy this vehicle? Or have you already bought it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) Thanks for the responses guys. I haven't bought the car yet. I'm waiting on an estimate for the listed items (minus the radio, but maybe I should throw that back in). Hopefully we can negotiate a price tomorrow and get this puppy home.

Thanks for the tip on the lower intake manifold plates. If they are the plastic ones I will definitely have them upgraded to the metal ones at the same time.

While I'm waiting for my estimates to come in, any idea how much the valve cover gaskets should cost?

Cheers...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st quote - surprisingly low

Hmmm... 1st quote from an independent shop with a good reputation: Roughly $600.00 to replace the L & R gaskets, belt, air & oil filters.

Much less than I was anticipating. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That definitely sounds low. Has this particular place ever worked on a MB v12 before? This is a very specialized piece of equiptment and I would not trust it to anyone that does not have a large amount of vehicle (and engine) specific knowledge. These are tough for MB trained techs to work on, let alone some optimistic indy that thinks he's going to train himself on your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought it sounded low...

I spoke with the service manager, who prepared the quote and will be the one to perform the service. http://www.mercedesplace.com is the outfit. They sell and service. He assured me that working on the 12-cylinder would not be a problem (he has done them before).

I know the belt and filters should be no problem, but I expected the gaskets to be - just higher. $340 for the labor, $200+ for the parts.

What type of figure would you expect?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Along the same lines.... the vehicle is in San Antonio, and I'm in Houston. Can anyone recommend a good independent mechanic in the Houston area?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hehe, out of the 18 MB techs we have at the shop I work at, I would only trust 1 of them to work on a 120 V12. And it isn't myself!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My SL600 had similar leaks, it then developed intermitent shorts in the injector harness $4000, damage to both ECUs $6000, and a variety of other age related failures, a total of 12k in the last year. That's not counting new tires, brakes, roof motor and computer, window motor, and a blown (plastic) radiator housing. the 94 only has 55k miles on it, and has always been garaged and fully maintained. Beware the V12s, they are a money pit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts