Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are Benz dealers willing to negotiate much off the MSRP? I haven't attempted to negotiate yet, but I'd like to hear people's experiences. I know for a fact that BMW dealers will not reduce price at all, and many people, including reviewers, have confirmed this.

How much can one knock off C-class prices? i'm only interested in 230 and 320 sedans :) Will they go for 2 or 3K off the price?

·
Registered
26 Posts
DS_MB said:
are Benz dealers willing to negotiate much off the MSRP? I haven't attempted to negotiate yet, but I'd like to hear people's experiences. I know for a fact that BMW dealers will not reduce price at all, and many people, including reviewers, have confirmed this.

How much can one knock off C-class prices? i'm only interested in 230 and 320 sedans :) Will they go for 2 or 3K off the price?
I believe so, try www.carsdirect.com you could get brandnew C230 sedan for 2-3K below sticker price. They also have some bimmer for low low price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
02C230 said:
I believe so, try www.carsdirect.com you could get brandnew C230 sedan for 2-3K below sticker price. They also have some bimmer for low low price.
i live in the area where carsdirect gives no price reduction for bmw's and mb's. i've checked a few different zip codes, and my suspicions were confirmed! i gotta move... heh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The way the economy is right now the dealers are hurting. They are not moving a lot of cars. My LD is advertising some of the MB's at least $5000 off MSRP. And if they advertise that, they are still making money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, carsdirect reveals a factory-to-dealer incentive, which seems to be huge in california and almost nothing here on east coast. with the incentive, dealers certainly would be making money. but i wonder how much they can reduce price in the regular times without incentives... probably 2K is a reasonable expectation... cali even has discounts on BMWs! damn NJ sucks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Negotiate!

You need to do your homework before walking into a dealership. I recommend using the Carsdirect price as a guideline for the MOST money you will pay. Be certain to print out the quote and take it with you as ammunition in your negotiations. I also HIGHLY recommend finding out when the last month of Dealer Alotted cars is determined as well as buying your car at the end of the month. Also know that the new models are being released this September - so ask the dealer to absorb some depreciation costs!

If you are fortunate to have multiple dealers in your area, write each of them a letter (E-mail or Fax) addressed to the internet department. Inform them that they are competing for your business and you are going to purchase from the dealership with the lowest price with the options, color etc that you want. Do not test drive the car until you have negotiated the price. This keeps you from getting emotional and nervous about getting the car you want.

I also recommend going in alone, but using a cell phone to call someone whom you can use as a "bad cop". I used my wife in this role while negotiating. Since there were things I wanted to let the dealer know, that might not be polite to say in person, I said them to my wife on the cell phone while standing in the hallway next to the office of the sales manager. He was able to eavesdrop and hear everything I wanted him to hear. This way, I convey messages of price requirements, inside knowlege etc while not being confrontive nor offensive. This tecnique also allows you to try and get the sales person on your side. You can say things such as "My wife is not happy with this price. I understand where you are coming from, but is there anything you can do to help me out?"
Do NOT let the sales person speak with whomever you have on the cell phone!

Using these techniques I was able to purchase a brand new C320 Coupe (V6), Orion Blue Metallic, Oyster Leather, Pano-Sunroof, Automatic (Sports Shift), 6CD Changer, w/ C2 Package for 26k.

Economic Times are tough - do your research, be confident - the POWER is in the hands of the BUYER...

-Stretch002-

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow that is a big discount. i am not sure i will ever get anything like that. i am not emotional about the car - i have driven a lot, and it's not like i want benz or bust, which is i guess in my favor.

unfortunately there are very few dealers in jersey, and you have to drive long distances between each... also, carsdirect offers NO discount from MSRP in NJ/Philly area!! Not on Benzes, not on BMWs, not on many other luxury marques. so i cant reply on carsdirect here, only on negotiations.

i'm not very confident when negotiating prices, unfortunately, being the person i am - i wish someone did the negging for me! lol... but using several dealers to compete is good. i agree about not getting emotional.

it's good to know, though, that such big discounts are possible on the benzes! i guess it makes a difference which dealer can afford what, right? a larger dealer should be able to give better prices, right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would believe you are correct in reference to the larger dealers being able to offer better discounts. When purchasing my car, I went to the largest VOLUME dealership I could find. They seemed very proud of the fact that they sold a lot of cars. Of course to get me to come in they said "we can lose money on your car and make it back later in the year on a few others". I am not certain they really meant for me to take it literally - but I did try to hold them to it!
If there are not multiple dealers in your area, you might consdier submitting bid requests to dealers in nearby states. Taking a road trip can be a fun way to break in your new car! Be certain to ask, however, if the cars sold in other states meet your states smog requirements.

-Stretch002-

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i agree with you definitely... the dealer right close to my home isn't so good and they seemed pretty snobbish, so i drove a few miles out to Ray Catena's MB, and it was awesome and HUGE!! one salesman there said it's the largest dealer in the East, which I was fairly easy to believe... their showroom alone housed 40 cars!

i wish i could buy in cali... carsdirect gives great prices for cars in california, and the road trip from cali to NJ would be pretty awesome to talk in a new car :) but, i dont have time for this right now... we'll see.

·
Registered
2 Posts
new or used?

ds_mb-

if you are open to a slightly used 230 coupe you can find some good deals. MB dealer sell off thier loaner cars once they are in service for 1 year (and always under 20,000 miles) the the dealer here in california is selling 1 year olds with 10-15,00 miles for about 7 grand off asking price.

·
Registered
32 Posts
alas... i bought my car on priceline close to dealer invoice. its too bad they don't sell cars anymore.

but here's a site i found very helpful... its lengthy reading, but its a great guide for car buyers. plus the time spent going through all the chapters will allow you to sit on your decision to buy a particular car without falling into the trap of making a spur of the moment decision.

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html

one thing i heard... dealers make a profit on anything above 3% over their invoice. thats not considering factory incentives (don't think mercedes has that), etc.

and of course, before you go into any dealership, print out price quotes from carsdirect. a dealer will always try and beat a competitors price thats IN WRITING.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts