Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 87 300D. when A/T shifts it's like something's kickin the ass of my car.. a powerful vibration. i think the shifting is delayed or there is something wrong inside the transmission. i replaced the vacuum modulator, flex disk, bearings etc. Others thought i should have my transmission overhauled. Please help me Please, please.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Lem,

I responded in the diesel forum about this, but I guess I assumed "kickin the ass of my car" to mean slamming into gear. From the vibration you have mentioned I guess that is not the case. Can you explain this a little more? Have you checked the tranny mount?

You mentioned you replaced the "flex disk" (not disks). I believe there are two. My '93 recently had a horrible vibration when shifting, and I found that the front disk was totally shredded. I replaced both, and the vibration is gone.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cracker928,

i replaced the front flex disk coz its cracked already. what i mean with "kickin the ass" is that every time the A/T shifts to higher gear, there is a loud, hard bang accompanying the shifting... and its like, again, something is kicking my car. i think the sound comes from the under. before, the problem was the delayed downshift. but after i replaced the modulator vacuum valve and had the shifting adjusted, i had this loud sound everytime A/T shifts.

ok i'll check the tranny. thanks man.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's kinda hard to say for certain what is causing your problems, but here are some things you might want to check. Hard shifts on these cars can be caused by Vacumn leaks in the engine compartment, and these vacumn lines do get brittle over time. If you car feels like you are getting a bump or shift in the rear end, you may want to check the thrust arms for wear.

Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bigbenzdude,

thanks man. i think i really have to tell my mechanic to check the vacuum system in the engine compartment. even articles from the net about benz transmissions point out the same thing. vacuum system rules my car.

lemuel29110

1 - 6 of 6 Posts