Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2002 C240 and it seems that the buttons on the keys (lock/unlock/trunk) only work when the IR transmitter is pointed at either of the front door handles. I can be two inches away from the car with the IR transmitter pointed away and the keys will not work. I thought I had read that the keys have both RF and IR functions, is this right? I took the car to my dealer and he said that although the range is pretty limited the keys are working as designed. Does anyone have similar problems? Is there a way to fix?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Something is wrong, because the RF is definitely not working. It could be the keys, but they usually don't fail at the same time, although that has happened. I would guess that something is wrong in the car, such as a loose connection or a bad antenna amplifier.

The dealer is either lazy, ignorant or both. Insist that it be fixed. If they can't or won't do it, demand to speak to their MBUSA rep.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, if you have an early 2002, it could be the battery for the key. I believe they only last about 1 - 1 1/2 years. Reduced transmitting distance is a sign that the battery needs changing. I don't think the message center warns of a weak battery untill the key is just about dead. Anyway, check the battery if it's over 1 year old. Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys. I wish it were only the battery, but it doesn't seem likely. We had two new keys ordered when we noticed the first one wasn't working right. The two new keys have the same problem and a battery was replaced in one of the new keys when we went back to the dealership last time. I can stand about 8 feet or more away from the car and if I can transmit to the IR sensor on the door handle, all button functions work. However, if im touching the key to the car, but not pointing at the sensor, the keys won't function at all. Guess I'll have to go back to the dealership and complain until I can get it serviced.

BTW, does anybody here have any experience with the Laguna Niguel dealership in Orange County? Maybe their service isn't that great and I should try another dealership? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
RF amp in the car

Probably the RF amplifier/antenna connection in the car.
A rare but known issue.

They have to remove the headliner etc to access it and replace or reconnect the RF amp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we'll see how it goes. I took the car in this morning for a brake issue and also brought up the key problem again. The same service manager I had last time told me the same thing, that it was only a range issue, but I insisted that the keys were not working as designed. He wrote it down to have it looked at.

We happened to get a loaner car of the same model and year and there is a definite difference in the operation of the keys. The loaner keys' actualy work no matter where they pointed or whether they were covered up or not. It's nice to be able to reaffirm that I'm not just imagining a problem :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
C230 Defective Keys

Hi,

With my new 2003 C230 I have found that the only time I must point the 'key' at the door handle, is to remotely open the windows and sunroof, partly or fully or to close it/them. Otherwise, it should be possible to open or close the doors from several feet away from the car, from any angle.

Al

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to have the same problem. RF no joy. IR was fine.

After 3-4 total visits to the dealer, a headliner removal and an amplifier replacement all is well, an has been fine for many months. For example today my key worked from inside a restraunt, through a window at about 40 feet.

If you are getting only line-of-sight directly at the door from 6 feet (on BOTH keys), then you are using IR only. If the service guy continues with his lame story, make a fool out of him. Pick ANY other new car at the dealership. Let him choose it. Ask your salesman to come along and explain to the service guy how a key is "supposed to work in a Benz", that ought to set him up nicely.

Then tell him you have a "hunch" it is a faulty connection in the RF amplifier to the window. They will never give you the run-around again.....

BTW I don't believe ALL key functions are RF, (some may be IR only). But Unlock/Lock is certainly RF (AND IR too), just use that as your test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved

Got the car back yesterday and everything is finally working as it should :D . According to the service comments the fault was with a module located in the trunk of the car. So all is well again and I'm finally completely satisfied with this car. Thanks to all of you for the suggestions offered.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts