Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I feel like such an idiot right now, honestly. My 2003 C230 sedan was delivered to my house this past Friday(May 16th). It now already has near 500 miles. Until recently stumbling upon this forum, I didn't realize I was supposed baby the car as much. I haven't abused it, but not all 500 miles were leisurely driven neither. Have I ruined the car for the long run? I'll shift at 3K rpm most of the time. But once in a while I did let it go to about 5K(it gets there so quick!). The fastest I've driven in about 80mph. Is it too late for me and my beautiful little car? Any advice/criticism would be GREATLY appreciated.

:oops: :x :cry: <-- I'm honestly feeling all these emotions right now. It's my first ever brand new car. I've had a '95 240sx, '93 Miata, '92 Pathfinder (all rwd and all USED). I've never had to think about breaking in a car before. I've treated all my cars with extra care, so this whole situation is really making me a little nauseated. Especially since it is kind of a dream car for me.(I bought for myself for my 28th birthday)

Thanks for letting me rant.
-Thach

·
Registered
34 Posts
No, you've not done any damage, I'm sure. If you check the owner's manual, you'll find that it says you should try to keep the revs below 2/3rds redline -- that would be 4000 RPM. An occasional burst to 5000 is not out of the ordinary, and 100 MPH is exactly 2/3rds max RPM.

I know. I'm breaking my car in right now, too -- 650 miles so far. And a buddy and I had to see where 2/3rds max RPM fell in 6th gear! :wink:

Basically, you need to vary your speeds -- don't do a 100 mile jaunt with the cruise set at 80 for the whole way. Around town driving is good, as it tends to go through a wide range of profiles, up and downhills, long flat stretches, stop and go, etc.

At least that's what I've been told,
Aaron

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've tried to keep it under 3000 rpm whenever I drive it. It now has almost 1000 miles on it. Car less than a month old.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Same situation - brand new C230K Sedan. Bought is with 18 miles and it's over 800 now. I talked to several sales people and their answer is the same --- drive it anyway you want, but DON'T use Cruise Control for the first 1000 miles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Alphaman is correct, and now you know the rules. The other thing he mentions is probably more likely to inflect real damage, prolonged sustained speed, like using cruise control. MB suggests 500 miles, I personally think with synthetic oil that may be to short. I really would have preferred the stuff made from Dinosaurs for break-in. Rather than drive at one speed you should accelerate and the decelerate often changing speed buy several miles per hour or more and moderate RPM down shifts. This causes better oil distribution on the cylinder walls and rings. This prevents excessive burnishing and glazing on the contact regions that will inhibit proper seating of the rings and leads to oil consumption issues.

Don’t baby it but don’t beat it up either.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you again cranius, Aaron, and everyone else very much for responding. I appreciate all your help in pointing me in the right direction. My C230K sedan also appreciates it I'm sure. I'm keeping all of your advice in mind while driving. You guys are really helping out the new guy a lot. Hopefully, this thread will help other new and potential buyers who visit this forum.

Thanks!
-Thach

·
Registered
27 Posts
BTW, What is the physical damage that can be caused by using cruise control or maintaining a constant speed over along period of time?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Burning oil and blow by in the worse case.

See earlier post

1 - 10 of 10 Posts