Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since joining this most excellent Benz Forum, I have learned a lot from all members that contribute here on a regular basis. This is my first post, by the way. As the subject matter indicates, I am in the process of gathering information and facts on the C230 Kompressor. This will be my second car. I currently drive a VW which I have had for the past ten years.

I am of the view that the following are “bogus dealership charges”: PDI, Freight and Metallic Paint fee. Are dealers flexible with these fees? I do not want to pay around $2,300 CND for this.

I would also like to get members’ views on the following:
(a) leather/panoramic sunroof (are they worth the price?);
(b) heated seats if leather option is chosen;
(c) evolution package (7 spoke mag wheels);
(d) dealer installed 6-disc CD changer.

Any feedback would be appreciated?

Regards,

WS

·
Registered
41 Posts
C230K

Keep in mind, that generally there is 3% profit built into the invoice price. I did not get the leather seats, but I wish I had. I would also get the heated seats. I don't think the wheels are worth the money. The stock wheels are pretty cool. You will be spending alot of time cleaning brake dust of the front wheels. As far as the CD changer, when I bought mine they wanted alot more money than for the 2003 model. So I bought a stereo that allows me to record cds to casette. The moonroof is really cool, worth the money. I don't think there is any way around the other charges you mentioned. Offer them $700 over invoice. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Re: Prospective C230 Kompressor Buyer: Dealer Negotiating Ti

I am of the view that the following are “bogus dealership charges”: PDI, Freight and Metallic Paint fee. Are dealers flexible with these fees? I do not want to pay around $2,300 CND for this.

The PDI is included in the price of the car. If the dealer is trying to charge this refuse to pay it and report the dealer to MBUSA. The metallic paint fee is not a dealer fee. It is charged to the dealer as an option by MBUSA. Like any other option, the dealer pays 93% of the MSRP on the sticker. Like any other option, it is negotiable with the price of the car. The freight fee is charged to the dealer by MBUSA, and there is no markup. I have never heard of any dealer of any brand negotiating the destination fee. It is a fixed cost to them.

IMO, the roof is a must have. It was a major factor in my buying the car. For 77 days, while waiting for my current car to be delivered, I drove a car with cloth seats. I found these seats to be perfectly accecptable. I ordered the current car with leather because I had never had a car with leather seats and wanted them. Most people in the US don't realize that leather is not popular in Europe and most other parts of the world. and MB sells more cars with cloth than with leather. Their cloth is very high quality. In the US, people think MB's should have leather, so having cloth could impact resale value.

The first car had heated seats, and after using them a couple times, I changed my order to include them on my current coupe. I won't have another car without them.

This is the best bang for the buck of any of the options including the roof. If you are getting a six speed it is a must. The short throw shifter is a great improvement over the standard shifter. The lack of a resonator in the exhaust system makes the car a little louder and it sounds a little sportier. The low profile max performance tires are subject to tramlining and are totally unsuited for use on snow and ice.

The obsolete Alpine changer is still overpriced but much cheaper than the $1000 to $1200 the stealerships used to charged, and still do if you don't get the changer from the factory. There are really no aftermarket options, if you wish to retain the use of the steering wheel buttons. You would have to use an RF modulator, unless you replace the headunit too. The changer is connected to the headunit with fibe optic cable and uses a proprietary communication protocol. I find that almost all aftermarket headunits look as though they don't belong in the car. The stock head unit can be hacked to give you an AUX input. You will not be able to play cassettes if it is hacked this way. The hack will void the warranty on the headunit.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Both the C230 and C320 coupe have been discounted, so check around. I got the C320 C5;C7 leather and auto for $29,500. You can also find a good deal on a used Coupe, check ebay and get an idea of what they are going for. Think MB discount cut the value on the used ones.
good luck
tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
C230K said:
Both the C230 and C320 coupe have been discounted, so check around. I got the C320 C5;C7 leather and auto for $29,500. You can also find a good deal on a used Coupe, check ebay and get an idea of what they are going for. Think MB discount cut the value on the used ones.
good luck
tom
Are they discontinued for a long time, or just for 2003 only and they will be building a new production for 2004?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Lynn said:

The PDI is included in the price of the car.

I would assume that the original poster is in Canada by the price of his options (in CND dollars). Therefore freight and PDI are NOT included in the price.

You won't be able to get out of paying those, however there are other ways of getting around that.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Whitesnake said:
WS
Welcome aboard Whitesnake.

(a) These are very much a matter of personal taste. I like leather, so I got it. I don't like sunroofs, so I didn't get that. It is, however, an excellent sunroof.

(b) In Canada I would say they are a good idea; here in So. Calif. I chose not to get them.

(c) The c7 package is priced right, but unless you are going to race your car it makes little sense. The 17" low-profile tyres are more expensive and produce a harsher ride while giving you a slight increase in handling. Your choice.

(d) I opted for this item, though I do wish it would read CD-text information. There simply are not many other options if you want a changer. BTW, the changer is easily accessible from the driver's seat, but do take care if you do this while in motion. A spare magazine helps a lot, and thanks to the folks here on the forum I bought a spare Alpine magazine at my local Good Guys store for about US$30.

Hey, ask your dealer to throw in a spare magazine -- can't hurt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
(d) dealer installed 6-disc CD changer

You say the "obsolete Alpine changer" in the C230 Coupe (2002)...

We just bought a 2003 C230K Sport Sedan for my wife. As with most MB models I have seen, the CD changers (as well as with most audio devices) are made by Becker. Moreover, they are dated in that the changers do not play mp.3 formatted music.

It is my intention to have installed a new Alpine changer that plays mp.3's (which with its compressed formatting, can store far more music) right in the glove to replace the space otherwise used with the factory Becker unit with MB labeling on it.

Regarding “aftermarket options, the RF modulator, and the use of a proprietary communication protocol,” I am concerned that the new Alpine changer (Alpine CHA-S634) I’m electing to install, all with all aftermarket parts, might have a compatibility issue. Is this what you’re suggesting? I sure hope not. I’ll have to speak with Circuit City, or a top level audio component installer who may be able to perform this task. I know of a few near me (Fort Lauderdale, FL) that seem to do quite a bit with German cars, especially MB.

I do want the steering wheel element to still work in harmony with the controls. I don’t see how the mere changer (not to be confused with the receiver, which is stock) should interfere with the essential controls overall. This is our first MB, so we may have much to learn.

Please detail this further, if you will. Thanks in advance.

Christopher

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: (d) dealer installed 6-disc CD changer

c2jones said:
We just bought a 2003 C230K Sport Sedan for my wife. As with most MB models I have seen, the CD changers (as well as with most audio devices) are made by Becker. Moreover, they are dated in that the changers do not play mp.3 formatted music.

It is my intention to have installed a new Alpine changer that plays mp.3's (which with its compressed formatting, can store far more music) right in the glove to replace the space otherwise used with the factory Becker unit with MB labeling on it.

Christopher
Well, the changer in my new '03 C230k coupe uses magazines that are identical with Alpine units. In fact I just bought an Alpine magazine and it works just fine. I would think, therefore, that this changer is made by Alpine.

As for MP3 files, I assume you are aware that MP3 compression is lossy. More music per CD vs. higher-quality (true CD-quality). Your choice.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The cd changer is most definitely an Alpine, just like the head unit. The following pic is from MBUSA:

Another pic:

L246mm x H60mm x D180mm

The Becker Silverstone 2662 is the only Becker changer using the D2B fiber optic protocol.

Dimensions in mm (w x h x d): 240 x 67 x 166
Weight: 2.2 kg

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The aftermarket Alpine changers cannot be interfaced with the stock headunit except by an RF modulator. The factory Alpine changer uses the D2B protocol to communicate with the headunit. A small box is added to the Alpine changer to accomplish this. Many of us, including me, started researching this almost two years ago.

The steering wheel buttons can't be used to control an aftermarket cd changer because the headunit is not in direct communications with the changer. The Alpine CHA-S634 uses the Ai-Net protocol. I have no idea if that uses copper or fiber to connect to a headunit, but it cannot communicate with the MB-Alpine headunit. The CHM-S665RF can be used because it uses and RF modulator, but it must be controlled with its remote control unit.

There are only two changers which can be connected to the headunit. One is the factory MB-Alpine changer and the other is the Becker Silverstone 2662, which may or may not fit into the glovebox.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Alpine is a German make?

Unless Alpine is now being built in China and Japan...

I was told (and I have even seen it somewhere - just give me time and I'll post it) that Becker is making most of these and they are being built in Asia as well as Europe. I'm told that Alpine is exclusively built in Europe.

Perhaps I was misinformed.

I shop on eBay for MB items. I have saved thousands over dealer prices (and most aftermarket sores) in doing so. I have a long list of factory accessories, etc. This includes some audio components.

Please review these photos for their content:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2415211677&category=38641

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2412030634

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2412030575

Please update me.

Christopher

·
Registered
30 Posts
Re: Alpine is a German make?

c2jones said:
I was told (and I have even seen it somewhere - just give me time and I'll post it) that Becker is making most of these and they are being built in Asia as well as Europe. I'm told that Alpine is exclusively built in Europe.

Christopher
The Alpine magazine I bought today was clearly marked "Made in Japan."
It was also marked "Alpine."

I think most large companies have their manufacturing done wherever they can get a good price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts