Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did M/B make a S55 or S65 AMG coupe? I would like to buy that car if it is available. Ive looked for a while and I havnt seen one. anybody know?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes my friend. If I m not mistaken the CL class did not come out untill 2000 or 2001. Im looking for the S500 from 1999 and before because Im not rich enough for the $89000.00 price they are asking for the new CL I do love them and maybe in a year or two I can afford the earlier modles of the CL55 or 65. but Im being a bit impatient. Ive seen the S500 coupe and I have to say it is one of the most beautiful cars I have seen. I love my 1995 S500 so I thought I would like the AMG modle if they had it and then if I could find one.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The 140 body CL was known as the S coupe earlier on in its life and in '96 (I think) it got it's own "CL" designation. There were only 500 (8 cyl) and 600 (12 cyl) models. The 12 cylinder is not really that much faster than the 8 due to increased mass. It is liquid smooth though. Overall ownership cost of 12 cyl models are exponentially higher than the 8's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you seem to be quite knowledgable on M/B cars do you know where I can find the answer to my question? First did M/B make an AMG modle for the S500 coupe (S55 or S65) and what year did the CL class debute? I seem to like the front end on the S class better than the Cl class I want to keep my two cars I have now (1980 240D and 1995 S500) I just want the coupe S500 in the AMG version if they made one. Maybe my drive way will look like a M/B used car lot when I have my collection finished

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The 140 coupe has both the S and CL nomenclature. CL started in '97 but is the exact same car as the S coupe. There are only two versions, 500 and 600, no AMG from the factory. The front end is the same on all of the coupes. It is possible to retrofit the headlights and fascia from the more stately sedan to the coupe, but it is quite expensive as it necessitates custom sheetmetal from the hood and fenders forward. I've seen a couple nice conversions though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you. You have helped me by answering these questions. I guess my best bet is to go ahead and buy the CL55 I can aford the 98 or 99 modle I guess I could do as you suggested and retro fit the front end thank you again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts