Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone replaced the updated fuel filter in a 2000 ML55?
the mb directions require to cut in the floor.
pl advise
Thanks

·
Registered
678 Posts
Remove Left rear seat. Lift up carpet. Bend the living crap out of the plate over the fuel pump that's sealed onto the floor to remove it. Buy a new one (Most MB dealers will stock it). Remove L/R wheel. Remove L/R wheel well liner. Remove fuel cap. Bleed off excess fuel pressure at fuel rail. Prepare to get fuel everywhere. Remove lines from fuel pump by finding some kinda pliers that squeezes the two tabs on either side of the line connectors. Control mess of fuel that is now flowing out of the lines. Don't light a cigarette. Unclamp fuel filter by accessing through wheel well. Unclip fuel output line from fuel filter same way you unclipped them from the pump. Be careful with this line as it will be reused. You can totally butcher the other ones, since you'll be throwing them away. Don't forget to purchase your 3 updated lines with your bigger fuel filter. Clip on big looping output line. Shove filter in place. Clip feed and return line to filter and pump. Clamp down fuel filter where it says "clamp fuel filter here". Double check all connections to make sure they're secure. Triple check connections to make sure they're secure. Go over connections once more to see if they're secure. Install newly purchased cover plate with quality body sealer. Install seat in reverse order. Don't forget to plug your seatbelt connector back on.

It's a royal PITA if it's your first time doing them. If your not familiar with the process, expect things to break like seat trim, maybe some fuel line connectors. Possibly even bending the floor a bit. I've probably done the update about a good 50 times, as probably most MB techs. So unless you feel confident about it. I'd take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Man, that was one of my most hated jobs back in my wrenching days. Over the years I became very sensitive to petrol fumes and once the tank is open, you're getting gassed like crazy. The hardest part from a service department standpoint is the residual fuel smell that can accompany a completed repair. Oftentimes, i'll keep the car overnight with the ozone generator inside so as not to offend the delicate palettes of my clientale when they arrive to pick up the car.

Also, as seems to happen most of the time, I'll wholeheartedly agree with Z in suggesting you let the dealer handle the job if you have even the slightest bit of trepidation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts