Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask these questions hoping someone can help. I have a 1996 C280.

1- The red and green lights at the bottom of my rear view mirror do not go on when I turn on the car? I test drove one of the same year and the light turned on when the car was started than in a few seconds they turned off. My lights on the rear view mirror have not come on since I purchased it a week ago. What should I check or loom for to fix this?

2- The back of my car is like 4-5 inches higher than the front from the top tire to the wheel whel. I have noticed that all the mercedes in my area are all the same height front and back. I think they must have put the wrong size springs? I like the look of the front, the back is way to high.

3- Is it okay to add octane booster to my 93 octane gas? I'm convinced that this gas although it says 93 it's watered down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please guys, one of you must know something about this. At least question number one would be nice.

Thx.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The lights come on in the other car because there is some issue with the alarm/immobilizer system in the vehicle. Your vehicle is operating properly. The lights should function when you point the remote at them and press the button.

The back should be a little higher. 4.5" could be a little excessive. I would compare it with an identical vehicle for reference.

I wouldn't worry about octane booster. There really won't be any benefit. As long as you are using a major brand name gasoline, you should be alright. I had the best luck in my '97 using BP/Amoco. When it comes down to it, the car was designed with 91 octane in mind, so even if your 93 is watered down, there isn't much to worry about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply and you are 100% correct. I received my new key today and the lights did go on as you stated when I pressed the remote control. As far as the springs on the rear, I did compare to other MB and they are the same as the front. I'm going to lower them with a spring compressor for now.

Thanks again for the reply!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You're not alking about leaving a compressor on, are you? Sometimes it's hard to infer the actual meaning of a post. I would honestly leave them as they are. There are very, very few instance in which a spring would need to be replaced on a 202 car. They do sit with a little bit of a rake. If it is a cause of that much concern, take it to the dealer and have them check the markings on the springs. They will be able to ascertain the use of the proper part in a very short period of time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The spring compressor I'm talking about is just 2 upside down clamps which squeeze the springs about 1 inch. I cannot keep the car as is because it looks ugly. Specially with the 15 inch rims. 1 inch does not seem much but it really does make a difference. I also could be wrong, it might be 1 1/2 that needs to be lowered. For now I'm going to lower it an inch and see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
That is quite dangerous and I must recommend against it with the highest amount of sincerity.

Safety issues aside, please do not do this to a MB.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, after I read your post I did some further searching and found that my FRONT springs need to be raised. The back is how it's suppose to be, so will need to replace the springs on front. Oh, would it be safe to add those "rubber lifters" to push the springs up 2 inches? I know I'm being cheap but I still need to by my wife a car so need to save some cash for now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Sir, I too would discourage you from making any alterations to the 202 suspension........especially the front end. Using the rubber spacers would not only skew your chamber/caster specs. they would even change your chassis' center of gravity and affect steering. The 202 is a fine machine but a tempermental beast at times and this is one of those times. 8O

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks jackflash.

i took my car this morning to the dealer and had it inspected. turns out i have worse problems! they said my head gasket is leaking oil, he pointed to the basket driver side but i did not see any oil pouring as he made it sound that it was doing. i did see an oil leak at the bottom by the oil pan but he said it was coming from the head gasket. I do not have steam comig from my tail pipe and there is no water/antifreeze in my oil from what I can see. The car runs smooth and no shaking or rough idle. Are these guys pulling my leg or can this be true?

IF I do have a small leak on the head gasket, is there a way to stop the leak for a few months or so? I founf this website that they swear their product fixes head gaskets, anyone ever heard of them? http://www.rxauto.com/index.html

Thanks for such great support!

·
Registered
95 Posts
As in any big "operation", seek a second opinion. Go either to another dealer or an independent shop. I'm not familiar with the stop leak product but I do know the only cure for a bad head gasket is replacement. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It is very common for the m104 engine to develop and external head gaket leak from the rr of the engine. As long as it does not begine to leak internally, it is not critical. It will leak oil onto the exhaust mainfold, smoke and smell bad, but will not cause any major damage to the engine. Keep an eye on the coolant resovior. If at any time it begins to look like a milkshake, the operation will need to be performed immediately. Fortunately, the head gasket replacement on that motor is a piece of cake once you've done a few. An experienced tech should be able to bang the whole job out before lunch.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to hold oput as much as possible before spending $1,800!
I have to do it at the dealer because they are the only ones that will wanranty the work. Other shops just keep saying "I think we can do it."

My car is 10 years old and I read some reviews were it states that the 1996 c280 gets like 19 MPG? I'm getting like 12-13 which is very disappointing. What could be wrong? I know it's old and don't expect it to get 19 but at least 15-16 would be really nice.

I purchased some bosh plugs and will install them asap, I hope that helps. I don't think the plugs have been changed for a while now. The car runs very smooth so I can't figure out why such poor MPG. Any suggestions PLEASE let me know.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Basic tune up stuff, plugs, wires, cap rotors (I don't rember if you had DIS in 95 or not), air filter, fuel filter. Premium gas will definiately help as well. The m104 wasn't known to get the best fuel economy as it was, but 12 does seem low.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts