Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to bombard the forum w/ questions, I'm new at this.

So I'm looking at the tires, and I'm not seeing a whole lot of tread for the frozen stuff. (It looks like it's still on factory originals.) So I'm thinking of getting another set of wheels, and mounting winter-based tires on them. Then I merely swap wheels twice a year as the seasons change.

Questons:

- I have 17" wheels stock, can I go larger? 18"? 20"?
- Are "rugged tires" going to affect the ride any?
- Will changing tires (and possibly wheel size) affect the warrenty?
- Am I missing/forgetting anything?

Sorry again for the list of questions, but I want to make sure I can manuever the white roads w/o fear.

Thanks,
-Buzz

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Stick with 17's for winter use. Best tractability in the snow. Rugged/winter tires will definately effect what you feel while driving. They will be much noisier/vibrate more but will be so much better in the snow.

You can definately go with larger rims for summer. Larger diameter rims will also exact a bit of a penalty in the area of ride quality. They are heavier and you will likey have a much smaller sidewall as well. I've seen 20" rims on ML's fairly often around me, so I don't forsee any problems with the installation. Also, a larger set of rims will not affect your warranty coverage.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire SIze

After doing some research, it looks like 16" wheels yield the most options for winter/rugged tires. Can I fit 16" wheels on there and then get a larger tire to maintain speedometer ratio? Will 16" wheels fit around the disc brakes?

Thanks,
-Buzz

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I don't think 16's will clear your brake calipers. I checked on tirerack.com and they don't show a 16" fitment. If they did fit they might look a little too small, but that is a subjective assessment. Were it me I'd stick with the 17's.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found some nice tires on Tirerack (been using them for years) and i think I might go w/ Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow tires. Lot of good reviews for them and they're almost designed for performance SUVs. They also come in 17" which will be nice.

Heard anything positive or negative about them?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Porsche uses them on the Cayennes. They are by far the pickiest company when it comes to what tires they allow dealers to install on their vehicles. From my limited experience with them they seem like a good buy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts