Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 1996 C280, the trans measuring stick has 4 slashes on it. After running the car hot (15 minutes running it) where should the trans fluid be at? I'm asking because I think my fluid level may be to low and I want to add some if it needs it. Right now the fluid after the trans is hot is at the 1st slash on the measuring stick.

Any help is really appreciated, if pictures of the measuring stick showing the slashes is needed I can take some.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys you have to know the answer. I'm getting 12 MPG and a mechanic thinks my trans has to do with the problem. So he told me to check the fluid and make sure it's filled at the right level. If I cannot get this car to give me better MPG I have to sell it and I really do not want to!

Any advice on what can be causing the POOR MPG?

I changed plugs wires coils and so forth. I do not notice any difference (never have on any car that gives poor MPG). I have not changed the fuel filter yet because I don't see how that could cause bad mpg. But I will change it if someone can explaing that it could be the cause.

Please people take a minute and post any comments.

Thx

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's been so long since I've checked tranny fluid level in anything older than a 722.6 that I have forgotten exactly what the marks are. But I'm pretty sure the lower range is where it should be at idle in park with cold fluid, and the upper range is with the fluid at approx. 80*C with it idling in park. When you checked your fluid level, did you just let the car idle for 15 minutes, or did you drive it? If the car is just idling, the transmission fluid will never reach operating temperature. You'll need to drive it for a good 10-15 minutes to get the temperature up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zewerr, thanks! I did need almost a quart of fluid. The car now feels much better and glides. Hope I will get a littler better MPG (currently getting 12mpg!). My air mass meter just went out so after replacing it I sure hope it will also help with the MPG.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts