Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 C230K that I took delivery of on 12/30/03. It has the C7 package which includes the 17" rims and the performance "low profile" tires. Mine are Continentals. This is the first time I've had these kind of tires, usually I prefer a more conservative all-season model - but I admit they do look nice!

My questions are about the wear of these tires. When I bought the car it had 400 miles on it from the dealership (test drives, etc.) and they gave me a great "leftover" deal on it. When I got it home I noticed that the tires seemed low (hard to tell with these tires), so I put a guage on them and they were all at 19 psi! I immediately inflated them to about 30 psi, and have since adjusted to 32 front/33 rear (a couple lbs over spec). My fear is that these tires were that low for the first 400 miles of their life.

I just had them rotated and balanced, after a discussion with the tech at the dealership. The treads were unevenly worn and a little chopped. I also would swear that I see "cupping" on the tires (the tires appear concave when viewd straight on or at an angle). The dealer shrugged that off.

Am I just screwed and bound to have extremely short life with these tires? Do these type of tires normally wear as fast as this? I do 99% of my driving on highway at 70 MPH. Should be easy miles on the tires. My last car had over 60,000 on the original tires when I traded it - and had at least 10,000 more in them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
running them at low pressure probably was the cause of the irregular wear but, you will not see 60k miles out of them or for that matter anywhere near that number .... expect 15-20k

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really?? Only 15-20, and the manufacturer is proud of that? Is there a tire in this size that is better? Or is it just this low style tire that is the problem?

I'm really upset about the condition of these tires and I know they were not properly maintained initially (by the dealer). No way to prove it though, and I would just get more frustrated if I tried.

Would appreciate any advice on long wearing brands in the low profile style though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the manufacturers are not overly interested in tread life when producing tires for performance vehicles the main concern is cornering grip and steering response ... but, for a longer lasting tire just switch out to an all-season type tire like the Pilot Sport A/S ......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can you tell us,beavis,the name of the dealership your dealing with
I'm sure the many readers of this forum are interested in how you are treated by them
I would think the cost of a set of tires would be much less than a reputation of not satisfying they're customers
don't you think

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer should have taken better care of the tires during the first 400 miles, but the bottom line is that I bought the car and maintained them afterwards. I think the Conti Sports just suck, so it's not really their fault. They have been great otherwise.

The new Michelins are doing great so far!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts