Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lyn , i need your input on this vexing problem. My200 Kompressor C class saloon is 4 months old, has done 5000 km runs pirelli 205 profile tyres and has had this problem which irritates the devil out of me...
Evident only on a bad road surface and low speed.. ( under 10 mph) the steering makes an alarming rattling sound which seems to come up thru the steering boss . i can feel the rattle in my hands through the steering wheel too. when i took my friends c class over the same surface, there was no rattle in his steering. The mercedes benz dealer says that it is due to the fact that my friend has the 195 tyres and i have the 205 tyres. This does not make any sense to me. My tyre pressures are watched like a hawk and i run at a merc specified 29 psi. Much of my pleasure is spoilt by this and other miscelaneous sounds from the rear doors, the B pillar which makes a highly irritating tick tick noise an inch from my ear, and a buzz at high speed fron the drivers side mirror!! I am dissapointed with the build quality of this car to say the least.. Please help with any input. Much obliged

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Alright, this sounds a little complicated. First off, your C is a 202 chassis which means you have a drag link providing your steering input rather that a rack. The first thing to do would be to check that all the joints on the drag link are nice and tight (take a pair of channel locks and squeeze the joints, just like checking a ball joint/tie rod). Obviously see if there is any play in the tie rods and that the idler arm bushings are in good condition. THere are cases in which extended warranty companies will replace leaking steering gears with aftermarket units that will cause this sort of clicking in the steering as well, so check to see that the steering gearbox is not only free of leaks, but also an original MB part. It is possible that your tires are out of balance as well (check the simple stuff first). Any feeling you have coming up through the wheel has to do with you front suspension or steering system, so a thorough inspection of these parts will definately lead you to your problem. Sometimes when dealing with noises/vibrations like this, a part is worn in such a way that it is not immediately obviousm but is still causing an annoying symptom. If all else fails (and I know this probably isn't what you want to hear), just wait. When something is worn and causing a problem, it will get worse. The worse the symptom becomes, the more obvious the cause of the problem is. As for your other two noise complaints (the B-pillar and the LF mirror), these are not things I have dealt with (and my shop sees 60-100 cars a day). I would suggest taking the B-pillar of and driving the vehicle to see if you can isolate where the noise s coming from. You have to take small steps when diagnosing noises, so you can pin down exactly what the cause is. Change small things, one at a time and drive the car. If you have any more specific information as to these noises (frequency, at what speeds and road conditions, clearer definitions of the noises themselves, etc.) I may be able to pinpoint a little closer for you. Good luck with everything and let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
alright, 203 cars...First thing to check out is the front sway bar links. I've seen these be bad from the factory before. they will cause more of a hollow sound, but it is a pretty common problem. It is possible as well that there might be excessive play in the thrust links (the aluminum control arms, not the ones that attach to the struts). These are nearly identical in design to the 220 front suspensions, and although normally pretty problem free, there have been a few instances. While under warranty there are not a lot of excuses as to why the dealership can't fix the problem. I suggest going for a test drive with the shop foreman and identifying the specific noises to them as they happen. A lot of times when there is a noise complaint, certain techs can be a little lazy and if the problem is not immediately present, they leave it alone (MB no longer pays our guys for extended test drives). THe problem needs to be duplicated with a knowledgable person in the car. The foreman is your best choice as they handle problem cars and are normally not paid on a flat rate commision basis (please keep in mind I am not too familiar with Indian dealership policies, but this seems to be the concensus as far as american dealerships go). If all else fails at the dealership, have them call in a special tech from MB. there are a whole crew of highly experienced tech that only deal with problem cases. it's unfortunate that you would have to deal with this headache so early on with this car. I would drop the car off, take a loaner and tell them you don't want it back until it is fixed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANK YOU , THANK YOU AND THANK YOU ONCE MORE! BEING AN AVID READER OF THIS FORUM BEFORE I BOUGHT MY CAR, I DID TELL THE DEALER ABOUT THE SWAY BAR LINKS.. THEY SAID ALL WAS FINE BUT I THINK THE RATS DID NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. NOW ANOTHER ALARMING SOUND HAS DEVELOPED. A VERY LOUD SQUEAKING ( SOUNDS LIKE A DUCK QUACKING ACTUALLY!!) WHENEVER THE CAR GOES OVER A BUMP LIKE A SPEED BREAKER .. THIS SEEMS TO COME FROM BOTH THE FRONT AND THE REAR SUSPENSION. SINCE I CANNOT FIND A ROAD TO DUPLICATE THE STREERING RATTLE IN bOMBAY, I HAVE ACTUALLY VIDEOED THE SOUND WHICH HAPPENS IN THE DRIVEWAY OF MY COUNTRY HOUSE... I HAVE CAPTURED IT WELL AND YES, YOU ARE RIGHT. IT IS A HOLLOW KNOCKING SOUND. WHAT ON EARTH COULD THIS NEW QUACKING SOUND BE?? THE SOUND IN THE B PILLAR IS A CLICK CLICK THAT SEEMS TO COME BOTH WHEN THE CAR ROCKS LEFT RIGHT AND SOMETIMES ON ACCELERATION OR BRAKING , WHICH LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THE OFFENDING PART IS SUSPENDED LIKE A PENDULUM - IT IS DEFINATELY A METALLIC PART.. NOT PLASTIC. I WILL HAVE THE B PILLAR HOUSING REMOVED TO ISOLATE THIS SOUND. BEING AS IT IS 3 INCHES FROM MY EAR - YOU CAN WELL IMAGINE WHAT IT DOES TO MY BLOOD PRESSURE!! THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH FOR REPLYING TO MY QUERRIES. MANY FRIENDS WHO FANCY THEMSELVES EXPERTS HAVE DRIVEN MY CAR AND HAVE LAUGHED OFF MY (VERY REAL) COMPLAINTS - SAYING I AM TOO PARTICULAR AND AM A PERFECTIONIST ( I AM AN EYE SURGEON YOU SEE..)!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
i hope all goes well during your next trip to the dealer. having videotaped evidence of the offending noise is an excellant idea and i wish more of my customers took an active interest in the maintenance of their vehicles. i mostly hear "oh, it doesn't sound right, fix it". nice. let us know what the outcome is. i am interested to see what their diagnosis is (especially for the pendulum sound).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks ever so much , both of you. I have an appointment with the benz reps on tuesday.. lets see the outcome. It is so reassuring to know that I have you two secret weapons in my arsenal!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to keep you in touch... the car spent 4 days at the workshop..2 german guys from Benz looked it over and took the car for several test drives.
The steering rack rattle still remains. I have been advised that it is the tyres. .apparently the tyre size does not meet the rim specs. I find this hard to believe.. but i am changing back to 195/65 goodyear nct 5 tyres ( from the present 205 pirellis) to prove a point. Even though the video evidence was shown to them and the rattle was VERY evident, they steadfastly maintain it is the tyres. I doubt it.
The noise from the mirror : i have isolated it to the mirror itself and by wedging a piece of sponge between the mirror and the housing, it dissapears. The Benz fellows say the mirror / assembly is fine.
The ticking sound fron the B pillar continues: they have "adjusted the trim" whereas the noise is evidently coming from the height adjusting mechanism of the seat belt.
The horrible quacking from the suspension has thankfully vanished. At least that was attended to.
One of the rear doors has stopped rattling the other is "perfectlly set" by the Benz fellows and continues to rattle.. a noise which they have atributed to "leather against leather" for crying out loud.
Is there an unspoken policy amongst benz to flat out deny any faults untill the shit hits the fan or what. Why is a customer who obviously knows what he is talking about, being given a run around like this??!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
"Is there an unspoken policy amongst benz to flat out deny any faults untill the (edit) fecal matter hits the fan or what?"

in some cases it definately seems like it. at this point i'd recommend direct contact with MB regarding the shoddy treadtment you have recieved thus far from not only the dealership they let represent them but by their techs they sent out to check over the car. at this point they can say either there is something wrong or you are crazy. that would sort of clear up the arguement as to whether or not they'll just let things continue to go the way they have. i feel bad about the situation you have to endure right now. i feel bad everytime i have to tell a new ML owner that yes, you need to add oil every 1000 miles or less, and yes, your vehicle is supposed to sound like an early 1900's freight train when coming to a stop and no, the lower radiator hose that has been on back order for two months to fix your coolant leak is not in yet.not that it really matters, because we know it's actually the radiator causing the massive amounts of coolant to drip from your new $50000.00 truck, but we can't fix that until we replace the hose 'cause ole ma benz'll have a fit so keep paying me for the coolant we use to continually top off your vehicle because MB won't pay for top offs. by the way it looks like you're going to need pads and rotors all the way around. should run only about $1300.00, i know it's only been 14000 miles but these vehicle have such advanced braking systems that they need parts replaced at almost every oil change.....
sorry to vent there. i've been pretty frustrated as of late with this sort of attitude from the powers that be as well. i say continue to bitch. go nuts. make them pay attention to you. which sucks. go back to the dealership one more time and tell them you don't want the car back until it is fixed. tell them when you come to pick it up you want a service representative there to go for a test drive with you to verify that you complaints have been addressed. put lots of miles on their loaner car and if the car isn't perfect when you go to pick it up, get back in their loaner (which should have been locked by you with the key securely stowed in your pocket) and drive off. the next day they should get a bill for your wasted time. i hate to condone any more asshole behavior in the world, but sometimes being nice doesn't pay off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dear oh dear!! I wish i had bought the Honda Accord instead... but then i would have pined for the Merc.. part of life's rich paegent i suppose. I will be after the Benz chaps for sure... i will not let this pass... if it wernt for the clicks and ticks and rattles this car would be so perfect... what a sweet engine and gearbox she has (so far!!) Thank you all for your inputs..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah yes.. to add to our cup of woes...whilst i was in the workshop .. out rumbles a new sl 500 ( 3000 miles on the clock) the foreman asks me if i would like to hop in for a spin.. i was delighted to .. if nothing else , for bragging rights. I wish i hadn't. The engine was so rough, you could feel the vibrations in the floor well through the soles of your feet. The roof mechanism rattled like billy o. and the switch gear... the less said the better. I was delighted to slip into my c class , which seemed to to be the epitome of refinement. The foreman tells me the rubber engine mounts have disintegrated and have to be replaced. I thought I had woes!!

K

·
0 Posts
Alright, this sounds a little complicated. First off, your C is a 202 chassis which means you have a drag link providing your steering input rather that a rack. The first thing to do would be to check that all the joints on the drag link are nice and tight (take a pair of channel locks and squeeze the joints, just like checking a ball joint/tie rod). Obviously see if there is any play in the tie rods and that the idler arm bushings are in good condition. THere are cases in which extended warranty companies will replace leaking steering gears with aftermarket units that will cause this sort of clicking in the steering as well, so check to see that the steering gearbox is not only free of leaks, but also an original MB truck part. It is possible that your tires are out of balance as well (check the simple stuff first). Any feeling you have coming up through the wheel has to do with you front suspension or steering system, so a thorough inspection of these parts will definately lead you to your problem. Sometimes when dealing with noises/vibrations like this, a part is worn in such a way that it is not immediately obviousm but is still causing an annoying symptom. If all else fails (and I know this probably isn't what you want to hear), just wait. When something is worn and causing a problem, it will get worse. The worse the symptom becomes, the more obvious the cause of the problem is. As for your other two noise complaints (the B-pillar and the LF mirror), these are not things I have dealt with (and my shop sees 60-100 cars a day). I would suggest taking the B-pillar of and driving the vehicle to see if you can isolate where the noise s coming from. You have to take small steps when diagnosing noises, so you can pin down exactly what the cause is. Change small things, one at a time and drive the car. If you have any more specific information as to these noises (frequency, at what speeds and road conditions, clearer definitions of the noises themselves, etc.) I may be able to pinpoint a little closer for you. Good luck with everything and let me know how it turns out.

Wow, great info bro.. I'll keep that in mind...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts