Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to install a rear view camera in my 2007 CLS550. I would like to know if the factory installed the wiring
for the rear camera in all the cars. If so were would this wiring harness be located.

Thanks;

·
Administrator
889 Posts
I would like to install a rear view camera in my 2007 CLS550. I would like to know if the factory installed the wiring
for the rear camera in all the cars. If so were would this wiring harness be located.

Thanks;
There will not be any pre-installed wiring for a reverse camera!

I recently installed a new Android double DIN unit to my 2005 ML that came with a reverse camera.
Because this unit plays all my music and videos from a USB drive, the six CD autochanger in the rear became obsolete.
I used the + and - wires to autochanger for the reverse camera video images and powered it from the reverse light bulb socket.It all works perfectly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Look on Amazon and eBay and you can buy the Screens and the cameras separately. The have cameras that blot on to your License Plate Frame.

Amazon has user reviews of their products so you can see how well they worked for others.
Unless there is some way to run the wiring though the area where the License Plate Light is you will need to drill a hole.

There is wireless back up cameras but 7 years ago when I put a back up camera on my Van the customer reviews on them were mixed.

The camera just comes with bare wires. The Screen eventually uses wires and connectors as you would have used on an old VCR.

There is likely youtube videos out there on some of them so you could get an idea of what is needed.

I wired mine so it is on all the time the Engine is running.

·
Administrator
889 Posts
I wired mine so it is on all the time the Engine is running.
I chose a wired system over wireless. With my Android double DIN the reverse image only appears when reverse is selected, it also mutes the audio if wished (selectable)
My camera came with phono plugs so I just had to solder phono plugs and sockets to the wiring as I described above. The camera wires are just two separate wires with no screening. I get a very clear image on the screen that isn't affected by the engine running or the rest of the car's electrical system.
I fitted my camera into the rear bumper which was a better and easier option than to fit it to the rear hatchback door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Redliner. I want to keep the original CMD console. is there a way to use a .solution this way

·
Administrator
889 Posts
Thanks Redliner. I want to keep the original CMD console. is there a way to use a .solution this way
Originally I thought about keeping the comand unit but the only way was to buy an aftermarket multiplexer such as this one
My other reason for scrapping the comand 2.0 was the clunky GPS navigation system with out of date maps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 1988 300SEL - which had no way to display the video. Does your 2007 vehicle have a screen (one that you can use)?

I added reverse camera functionality using the:
Garmin DriveSmart™ 51 LMT-S (the screen part - and this has full navigation with voice control)
and the
Garmin BC™ 30 Wireless Backup camera (a wireless camera that works with the 51 LMT-S)

I put the screen up above the rear view mirror - there seemed to be no place to mount it on the dash at least not without making serious holes. I did not want wireless but I must say it works very well - so don't be afraid of wireless. And "wireless" is a misnomer - there are plenty of wires when they say wireless they mean there is one less wire because there is no wire from the back of the car to the screen. But you will need to find power and ground for the reverse camera (usually the reverse light) then there is power for the screen (can come from the same reverse light as the video cable often has a power lead too) then a ground for the screen.

I should post photos - it came our really well and I don't need to run my iPhone constantly for navigation (the iPhone will send an address and traffic information to the Garmin - but you don't need it at all).

·
Registered
27 Posts
The map function - the unit does hang down slightly into the rear view mirror. I will try to raid it a bit

there is a lot of glare in this photo - in reality it is very easy to see, the camera is much more sensitive to the glare.

To install it - I did not want to put holes in anything and to be able to remove it if I did not like it (I love it). So it is mounted to a piece of sheet metal that is heals up by the edge of the mini sun visor and the black light / sun roof switch holder. It was far easier than I thought it would be.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts