Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
On eBay you take a chance on the ripped off copies may or may not work.

I have the offical CD set for my 123 and found it would not work on my 64 bit Windows 7 due to the need for a Flash Player.
Adobe has an experimental Flash Player that allows the CD set to work but oddly the flash player will not play the little flash clip. But, you do not need that clip for anything anyway.
You would also need an PDF reader compatiable with the 64 bit system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a good manual in hard copy? Isn't it much more handy to have something you can pull out in your garage when you want to work on something rather than have to go to a computer and print something out? Is there a way to buy a maintenance book (i.e. a book that shows recommended service/replacement intervals (I bought a used car without any such book)? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is there a good manual in hard copy? Isn't it much more handy to have something you can pull out in your garage when you want to work on something rather than have to go to a computer and print something out? Is there a way to buy a maintenance book (i.e. a book that shows recommended service/replacement intervals (I bought a used car without any such book)? Thanks in advance.

The owners manuals would have some of the service info and they show up on eBay.

If you have a W123 the real Mercedes Manual Books often come up for sale on eBay. However, A set of books that aproximates what is on the CD manual set Sold for over $300.00 about 1-1/2 years ago. What I can remember is it the Engine Manual, the 2 volume Body and Chassis Manual, and the Climate Control Manual. There also may have been the electrical trouble shooting manual but I am not sure of that.
After that again for W123 is the Haynes Manual. Not a lot of detail with the exception that the a section on taking apart Manual Transmissions that is not avilable in any of the Mercedes Books or CDs mentioned above.

Bently Manuals in the US does not seem to have a Diesel Manual. However, with the exception of the gas Engine stuff the rest should be similar. Also some Bently Manuals are in the $99 range.

If you have a W124 or W126 info is hard to find. Ounce in a while the used printed Mercedes Manuals show up on eBay and because they are harder to find the bidding is higher.
There are ripped off copies the real Factory Service Manuals on CD; the Offical Mercedes service manual CDs are rare.

Mercedesmanuals is supposed to sell the CD manuals (and in fact they are having a sale now). However, in the past when I have recommended them to W124 or W126 owners I got a messages back from them saying they were listed as out of stock.

I have read a lot of dissatisfaction with the Offical Mercedes CD manual set. However, in the case of the W123 manual the $27 Total Cost direct from the Mercedes Classic center is a real bargin due to the volume if info. that covers the complete Car with a few exceptions. (There is no Turbo or Transmission rebuilding info in them, and for some reason the CD set does not have the Front End Alignment specs.)

Printing stuff on the computer seems like a pain; but has some advantages.
One Body and Chassis book is almost 2 inches thick; not handy at all.
You can get your computer printed copy a oily and greasy as you like and throw it away when you are done.
The printed copy is handier becuse you can lay it in your Engine area or under the car with you and do not have to worry about getting it damaged.

On the negative side the computer printed pics are awful.

·
Registered
114 Posts
just bought a 2 disk set on ebay for $20 so far has alot of helpful info just not that user friendly. but it works
If ForcedInduction is a member of this forum perhaps he will provide you with the site where you can get a nicer index system for your CDs.

I used to have the site but never got around to learning how to get it installed and later lost the site.

I just got used to using the disk the way it is.

Not being user friendly and poor quality pics are the main complaints concerning the CD manuals.
However, if you had to buy that amount of information just for the Diesel 123s alone I can remember the buch of printed manuals that about equaled that selling for $330 on eBay; and I believe that did not include the shipping charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts