Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a MBZ 1997 S500 Couple, that is in very good condition and it runs great. However, it only came with one key and I'm worried that I will be stuck if I can't get another one made. I've checked with several dealers in my area as well as contacted the corporate offices of BMZ and I was told that Mercedez not longer supports the keys for this model as well as any other model that uses the Drive Authorization System. I also reached out to a place in Great Britan that claim they were able to create replacement keys for these cars but I needed to bring the car to them. So now I'm reaching out to anyone in the US that has access or the ability to make me a new key for my car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This won't help directly but might give you some clues to check out. The way DAS works is that there is a little microchip glued or snapped into your keyfob. That chip is energized by a coil of wire surrounding the keyhole and reports the number encoded in the chip to the DAS controller that looks at several different inputs and then decides to let you start the car if everything checks out. The radio in the fob that works the locks and panic has nothing to do with DAS nor does it need a battery in the fob to operate. If you have a fob that no longer works the locks, you can have take the old blade out and put it in a new fob from eBay pretty inexpensively. Most folks can't get these new fobs to start the car however because they don't know about the little black piece of plastic that needs to be transferred before DAS works. Hopefully you have the old fob but if not, you can source another fob and have it waiting for the day yours eventually fails. If not, some creative searching for someone who has the RFID equipment to duplicate that chip is what you need. I don't know if its encrypted or not and that presents another problem. I suppose it's also possible to remove the DAS system from the car if your willing to lose a couple other features but that goes beyond my knowledge of the car. You'd need to find someone with a star system who might know how to recode it. Good luck. It seems awful that these cars become scrap because Mercedes no longer wants to support the system. Don't lose your key!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts