Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if someone could give me some pointers in replacing my serpentine belt on my 1997 S420 (w140 frame). I have a diagram on the belt routing but need to know the point where the bolt assembly is located to loosen and place slack in the old belt for removal. Also any technical info on tightening the new belt and how much tension to allow on the new belt. In my younger years was pretty saavy on auto repair but as I grew older I decided to pay for it until this nasty divorce I'm in surfaced. Now I need to watch my spending. I also need to change spark plugs and first look seems to indicate they are hidden or difficult to reach. Any help or special techniques would be appreciated, Car is starting to run different and needs some TLC. Need some suggestions guys, any help would be greatly appreciated, wife has taken me to the cleaners and is still looking for more and won't give up. One other item, I noticed when turning a corner and trying to reaccelerate the kickdown plate seems to have a substantial delay before responding. I have replaced both air filters but still have a problem. Right now I don't have the cash for a full fledged dealership inspection. Any help would be a life saver for me and my six year old. Please respond as soon as possible, the belt is in pretty bad shape and I don't know how much longer it will remain intact. Thanks, and God Bless.

Lee

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The belt is pretty easy. There is a pulley near the lower middle section of the motor on the driver's side. This is your belt tensioner pulley. I believe it will have an inverted torx head bolt on it. THe tensioner is spring loaded. Put a ratchet on it and turn. That'll give you some slack to get the belt loose.

The plugs are underneth those black plastic covers on the top of the valve covers. Pretty straightforward getting them in and out. Make sure to observe proper torque specs when tightening them down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your last sentence somehow was cutoff regarding the torque specs. Can you repost them. Thanks.

Lee

1 - 3 of 3 Posts