Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new in the forum, but I have been following up the topics for a while. I own a 2001 ML 320 and my problem is also the check engine light. It has been on for a while and I thought it might be related to the recall for the catalytic converter. I called the service to set up the appointment for the recall and asked them about the check engine light but they told me catalytic converter does not turn the check engine light on and they would charge about $200 just to diagnose why the light is on. It really does not make sense to me actually, how a failed catalytic converter would not trigger the check engine light. Do you know if that is right? I do feel a little vibration in the car when I am stopping on a red light of on idle, but not sure if it is related to the converter of the check engine light. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
678 Posts
In most cases, the catalytic converter recall will not have any thing at all to do with a check engine light. The converters are being recalled due to slight cracks that develope along the welds of the cats and just simply cause an exhaust leak.

There could be numerous things that can cause your check engine light to be one. Most common on your car would be, bad MAF sensor, Bad coil or spark plug connector, vacuum leak, or purge system leak, loose fuel cap. From what you said about it running rough at an idle, it kinda sounds like you got a partial misfire. I think proper diagnosis is in order.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, They replaced the catalytic converter. But the check engine light is still on and I need to take care of it. I took the car to a mechanic I know and he checked the error codes. Looks like cylinder 3 and 6 are not firing right. The mechanic told me we need a whole new tune-up kit. I am not sure what is included in the kit but I called a dealer and they gave me $650+tax price. Mechanic also told me we need to change the O2 sensors as well and they are $162+tax each in the dealer. I checked the sponsor's site for the O2 sensors and 4 new sensors are total $467 in there. I am thinking about going with the sponsor's product due to the price difference but I am not sure if those are the right parts. SKU #s are C5010-89282 and C5010-126984. I would appreciate if someone could confirm that they would be ok to buy and use with my 2001 ML320. Also, I just talked to another dealer and they advised me to change only the failed ignition cables, not all of them. Per the sponsor's web site there are two different types of cables, one is 8, the other is 4 in each engine. I am not sure which ones should I buy for cylinder 3 and 6. I would appreciate any advice to make this purchase any reasonably priced. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
678 Posts
If the only codes you have are for misfires on cylinders 3 and 6, it doesn't sound to me like your O2 sensors need replacing. Actually, the O2 sensors on ML's rarely go bad. Most common cause of misfires on a 112 and 113 V-6's and V-8's are the spark plug connectors. You tend to start seeing these go bad at about 70-80k miles or so. I'd replace only cylinders 3 and 6 spark plug connectors, clear the codes, reset mixture adaptions, and see how it runs from there, and just keep in mind that some of the other connectors may go bad in the future. Occasionally, we see a coil go bad, but not as often. If your truck is approaching 100k miles, I'd recommend replacing spark plugs while your at it, since they're due.

·
Registered
453 Posts
If all you want to replace is the wires for cylinder 3 & 6 only you will need to purchase one 9.5" wire and one 10.5" wire with plug connector ends for each cylinder. In other words two from those in the group of eight and two from the group of four. If you want to replace all twelve wires we also have a complete set available on the catalog.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. I have changed the spark plugs and the 4 cables to those plugs. It took care of the vibration problem. After we deleted all the error codes, I drove about 30 miles and the “check engine” light came back on. I guess I am going to have to change the oxygen sensors as well. There are rear and front sensors in the sponsor’s web site. I would appreciate if anyone can advise to buy which ones and how many of those. Also, as for Zewerr’s comment, I would appreciate if someone could explain what to do to reset the mixture adoptions. Again, I have a 2001 ML320. Thank you very much for the help.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The codes tell you exactly which sensor(s) is(are) bad. Reset the engine adaptations is done via the SDS tester (a tool they have at the dealerships and some very well-funded indies).

·
Registered
33 Posts
After replacing the Mass Air Flow Meter on my 1998 ML320 I have reset the mixture adaption by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. It worked for me very well and it was suggested by Zewerr, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem

Were you able to find the cause of the problem? I have the same issue with my vehicle (01 c240) same codes and same problems your describing. Please let me know, I am very curious.
aaron

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bwarren N.c.

I am on my third benz now (ml320) and by far this has been the worst. I am now having my second converter problem. It has thrown the check engine light on and rendered the vehicle undriveable. It has also caused misfire in three of the six cyliders. It has also a crack in the weld of the driver's side front converter and that is the one that has come apart inside. I had replaced the passenger side converters at 81k before I knew of a recall. Now I am involving MBUSA and the dealer, and they are both playing dumb. I have looked at the new gl320 deisel, but the outcome of this situation will determine if I go Japanese or not. It is a funny thing, my 2 Fords sitting in my garage beside the ML have had virtually no issues

1 - 12 of 12 Posts