Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please any advice on how to get rid of the sooty smell and moldy smells in the interior of an old 300D? any product advice? i've already been to the site recommended in the car care forum and saw their stuff, just wondering if any diesel specific oriented advice. i don't really have much or any diesel smell itself in the car, but the interior smells a lot of sootyiness and maybe some mold (as i live in the northwest).

i spent $750 with my mechanic to get the car on a proper maintenance foundation going forward - flushed and renewed every liquid, new battery, steam cleaned the engine, etc - now i've got to get the interior liveable for longer trips.

·
Registered
584 Posts
When I got my '93 from my brother, it had been wrecked and parked some place in North Carolina for a while with (from what I can tell) at least one window open. I could not guess how long it was parked for, but it looked liked a homeless preson had been living in it (more than likely just my brother's junk). The humid environment had taken its toll a bit.

What my wife and I did was just spend a day gutting the car, removing the seats, floormats, carpets, and any other basic component that easily came out. Each part was VERY thouroughly cleaned with just an ammonia based cleaner and elbow grease, and put the car back together. The carpets were first scrubbed and then we used a powerful vacuum. When the car was done the interior looked an smelled like new, with the exception of some decay on the leather steering wheel. We found LOTS of change too (and some things we'd rather not think about).

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you check under the rear seat you might find that the seat pad is the source of some of the smell. The older horsehair pads will breakdown over time, this is especially a problem if you have any water leaks around the rear windshield. Any water leaks will also cause mold or mildew to form and give off an odor.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great advice - this forum is so helpful.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
padding under rear seat needed?

took out the seats and did the ammonia and water cleaning.

discovered some wet stuff under there.

under the rear seat is some padding covered in plastic. it rests on the steel floor. this was damp in my car. is it even necessary?

I have a fan on it drying it out, but I'm thinking about just cutting it right out of there. It doesn't seem to do anything for the rear seat which is all in its own frame and rests on top of this padding.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seats

when i took out the seats i also pulled out bunches of old fibrous material. I noticed that this stuff makes up the lumbar support of the bucket seats. Is this the horsehair stuff? horsehair - amazing.

does anyone know what year they stopped using that stuff? I'd like to find 2 used seats and replace these

·
Registered
584 Posts
The foam stuff you found on the floor is likely sound deadening. Mercedes uses tons of this stuff all through their cars. Not necessary, but appreciated when on long trips.

Yes, that would be the horsehair. Any 123 sedan rear seat should suit you for a replacement if needed.

Needless to say (but I'm saying it :) ), you should find where the water came from that soaked under your seat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the water is coming in through the rear window at the lower corners. my mechanic says this is very common spot and gave me the card of a window guy who does some kind of injection of special sauce to stop the leaking rather than replace the gasket. apparently its hard to replace the rear window gasket without breaking the window

anyone with experience stopping these leaks or replacing the rear windows? 1980 300d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts