Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any modifications/adjustments I can make that will make my '03 ML rock less from side to side? I like the soft ride, but bumpy curves are annoying. I used to have a 97/98 ML320 and I feel it handled better, but the ride over bumps was harsh. Would stiffer shocks help my ML500? Stiffer springs? Would I get less rocking, but a harsher ride?
H.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Replacing the springs with a sportier rate unit would definately help to dial out some of the rolling you're experiencing. As with all things suspension, it is a trade off. With more neutral cornering comes a bumpier ride. There really isn't a way to truly get both.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Springs

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if the ride could be adjusted. As I thought, there is no free lunch. I know little about suspensions, so it's the springs I would need to change, not the shocks? I checked what the Tire link had. Of course there is more than one type. Would stiffer springs affect tire wear directly or indirectly via me driving it harder in corners?

I may stay with the roll since the ride on my old ML was bone jarring at times and I may no be able to predict what the ride will be like. That's what got me to test drive a newer model. Glad I made the switch. Much fewer problems, better ride, quieter.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The newer ML's are far superior in terms of the overall package to earlier models. Way less issues. The springs will be what most affects cornering stability. Shocks will assist a little as will sway bars, but your ride will definately be compromised. Tire wear might increase indirectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts