Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum, deceased, I had asked for suggestions concerning software/hardware for high-end mapping and image processing.

We're now looking at Socet Set/Imagine (http://www.vitec.com/products/socetset/) combination on a dual processor 2 gig Pentium IV, 4 Gig Ram, .5 TB of disk storage on two non-RAID disks. 3-d visualization is still undecided but I'm interested in two sources (http://www.stereographics.com/index.htm) and a Kodak system which somebody else is looking at. Total cost is about $85K but with trade-in of our stereoploter, we'll get the system for $30K, including training for a GIS technician.

This does not include the cost of upgrading our LAN to meet the huge demands of moving tens or hundreds of gigs among machines and to the FTP site for other agencies and sites. Estimate from our DP guy is about $60K, which includes pulling some new fiber optic cables. Now if I can just figure-out how to arrange the (flat) budget so that we meet commitments and buy this and not get fired for overspending my budget.........

Rib

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I bought 3, 500GB drives. We're getting about a TB of data from FEMA (worth about $200K) and I have to put it someplace. I bought a 250 GB drive last month and a 80 GB drive in April. This is just to keep-up with current needs, nevermind that I have about 300 TB of unscanned imagery. I smell a extremely unfortunate curve, here. I hope that disk drive technology keeps-up. I also have to figure-out how to back-up this stuff.

On another, unmentioned forum I got some great advice from a member of that forum, Tkamiya (I think that's his handle). I saved the advice he gave me and wrote a lot of it into a proposal for expansion of network services. Unfortunately, it looks to me like demand is going to far, far exceed delivery. What a mess. Your tax dollars sort of at work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts