Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably it's too late. I have been driving my 2004 CLK320 since Dec-16, 2003 through snow and salt.

I plan to keep this car for a few years, should I or need I apply sime 3rd party rust-proofing to the car? Another question is how's rust proofing of MB in general?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I doubt that you should apply aftermarket rustproofing. I have read that aftermarket rustproofing can actually make rust through more likely because it often blocks drainholes trapping water between body panels. A few years ago, aftermarket rustiproofing woud void many American car makers rust warranties. I'm sure their policy hasn't changed. And I'm sure MB as a similar policy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here in Minnesota we're constantly bathed in salt and salt water from the roads. Run your car through a car wash extremely often. Get a season pass at a car wash if you can. Make sure that, if it's a gas station type car wash, it has an underbody spray. I keep all my vehicles a long time, and I have yet to acquire any visiible rust.

Do not , repeat, do not have any rust-proofing done to your car.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
you shouldn't have to worry too much about rust on these cars. even here in chicago with our heavily salted winter conditions we don't have too many issues. the worst problems related to corrosion are the occasional frozen tie rod and those are on older cars. take a look at old benzes driving around. compared to other manufacturers, you see more 20 year old cars with good looking original paint wearing a three pointed star. wash it regularly and park it in the garage. leave the oxidation woes to those who chose to purchase lessor automobiles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts