Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone upgraded to the larger crank pulley if so. how is the power increase. how reliable is it. how many miles do people have on them. It looks like asp is the cheapest. :?:

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
The ASP is the cheapest, but it is possibly the best. They are the only company which actually makes pulleys. The ASP crank pulley is a modified factory pulley. It is machined down and a new ring is welded onto it. The welds are ground down for a finished appearance. The pulley is then sent to and aircraft engine rebuilder to be balanced. Currenty they only offer a pulley for the M111 2.3 liter engine. They are looking for someone to work with to design a pulley for the M271 1.8 liter.

The M111 pulleys generally yield an increase of about 30 hp at the wheels and a somewhat higher increase in torque. The exception is the Renntech, which is a slightly smaller pulley.

Many people have them. Most of the problems seem to be related to improper installation. For that reason, Kleemann USA no longer offers them. Kleemann also had a ring which used set screws to secure it to the existing pulley. I have heard of those coming off and doing major damage. Those are no longer sold, either.

I know of several people who have installed and removed their pulleys several times without problems. You need to make sure the keyway on the pulley is aligned with the key on the crank. It should slide right on. If you need to force it on with a wrench, you have not aligned it correctly.

Increasing the speed of the supercharger may cause it to wear out quicker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rebuilding s/c

is there a rebuild kit for this s/c. I have 80k miles. the last thing I want to see is a bearing failure in thae s/c. How long do these s/c tend to last

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
These blowers tend to grenade with some frequency. We always replace them rather than rebuild, but it stands to reason (it's an eaton roots blower, the same one that most manufacturers use in OEM applications) that a rebuild kit would be available. I would check with Jackson racing, as they use the exact same unit in all their supercharger kits for Hondas and such vehicles. Also, it is factory equiptment on all the GM motors that use the blown 3800 motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts