Benz Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 S320. Its been a great car, but recently it has developed engine oil leaks. I can't seem the see exactly where they are coming from! I have cleaned the engine, and dispite running it at 2.ooo rpm for over half an hour, at first it doesn't leak!! But after a long run, it has oil around the bottom of the sump and at the back of the engine. It seems oily down the lefthand side of the block also. I have had a genral tighten up of sump bolts etc. Does this engine have a PCV type breather valve or another type of breather system that could be blocked up and causing excess cankcase pressure??? Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 1996 S320. Its been a great car, but recently it has developed engine oil leaks. I can't seem the see exactly where they are coming from! I have cleaned the engine, and dispite running it at 2.ooo rpm for over half an hour, at first it doesn't leak!! But after a long run, it has oil around the bottom of the sump and at the back of the engine. It seems oily down the lefthand side of the block also. I have had a genral tighten up of sump bolts etc. Does this engine have a PCV type breather valve or another type of breather system that could be blocked up and causing excess cankcase pressure??? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Leaks tend to 'FLY' rearwards as vehicle is driven. To nail location try a dye added to engine oil, after cleaning the block of course. Check also your (flex) oil-cooler lines attached to radiator bottom. Rubber gaskets deteriorate over time. Just my thoughts.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts