Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum but have a question since I have been offered an S280 from 1996. It is in ok condition having covered 120k miles at the moment. The service historiy is ok, but the car have some minor niggles:

1) The transmission takes some time to get from drive to reverse. What would that be - and what would it cost to fix?

2) it has had some sone chips etc. that have started some small rust attacks here and there. Thinking of the E-Class problems I was wondering if the W140 had the same rust problems?

3) Generally: It is not exactly a racer but is quite spacious and very comfortable. I like the car and the price is reasonable - I am in case not planning on keeping it forever, but would however like to hear how much you guys think it will cost me to keep it running and what special things to look after. I live in Denmark where cars cost a fortune so it would be nice to know if the maintenance is expensive as well..

Best regards

CJP

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
This will be a very expensive car to own. The maintenance costs are quite high and at that age they become increasingly prone to failures. Read through some of the posts here if you'd like some specifics.

·
Registered
27 Posts
S320

Those motors, the 104 are prone to oil leaks. The front, upper timing covers tend to leak and also head gaskets. Water pumps are common as well. but otherwise theyre good motors.

·
Registered
48 Posts
that transmission needs to be operated on, valve body might need to be cleaned and at the same time it would be best to prepare parts for transmission disc (8 pcs) and and front and reverse break bond. Its common in all mercedes benz transmission after a long time operation and when the maintenance are not done periodically

1 - 4 of 4 Posts