Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Merc S-320 (1999)
My car audio works fine but yesterday night and suddenly, sound was not coming out of all speakers anymore eventhough I can still navigate between channels.

I thought that the Radio is having a problem and tried to switch the CD on but I got this message: Starting CdChanger.. No CDC .. ouch !!! then said... what da hek, let me try a tape.. the tape started to play but still no sound !

Any ideas ? :roll: :?: :!: 8O

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
From the way you describe it, I believe you have a problem somewhere in your D2B (fiber optic) ring. The amp and the CDC are all connected via this ring. If one spot goes down, it all goes down. You need to have the actual values of the ring read to see if there is a problem. Oftentimes, there is just a problem with the version coding that can be reprogrammed with the STAR tester. Otherwise, they'll have to chase down the open in the ring to see if there is a pinched or broken optic cable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

I forgot to mention that this happened 1 month before and the audio was off for couple of days then went back on again.

Do I understand from your reply that I have to visit a workshop ? cuz half of your info is like Chinese to me :)

In my area, it is so difficult to get Merc experts unless you go to Agency which are in turn so expensive.

I thought I can at least check if the wire is damaged or a fuse is burnt.

would you please guide my where to look if possible ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The new info only further confirms my suspicions that you have a fiber optic problem. This is not something that can be diagnosed by a DIYer or even most indies. You will need the MB STAR tester to determine the fault. Got to go to the dealer for these problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, will do..

Thanks for your help.

Just last question. I noticed that under the right back seat behind the floor light there is a hatch. Inside that hatch there are a lot of Numbered Fuses and I noticed that there is a pair green socket, one side of that socket has an orange fuse and the other side of it does not have any. Is it normal that there is no fuse in it ?

I searched the car's manual but found no info about the fuses, is there any document that desribes these fuses ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's very likely it's a fuse socket for an option you don't have on your car.
The fuse description card should be either under the lid of the main fuse box under the hood, in the fuse box in the trunk or perhaps with the spare tire and tool kit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to let you know how this problem is fixed. I went to a workshop and the man connected the computer to the car and he fixed the audio ! He said that the audio was messed up due to a radio station and he told me not to tune to this radio station anymore cuz many cars are coming to his workshop having the same problem. !!! is this possible, a radio station messes up with the radio system in the car ?

Thanks Again ! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts