Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ask this every few years as new scanners come on the market often I dont know about.

Please list the best/affordable scanning tools to read and reset especially transmission codes on E-series MB's.( Pre 2001 models ) W210.
If you replace a transmission you need to reset codes that are pretty deep else you get false check engine lights.

So what is out there at a minimum that will read all modules and can in particularly reset transmission module codes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've asked this question too and haven't rec'd any good replies. I even asked Autel, and out of the many times I asked I rec'd one reply which was basically a maybe. Very frustrating....
I can tell you I bought the Autel MaxiAP AP200 which is able to read and clear quite a bit more stuff than a generic dongle. For $70 I think it's well worth it, and it's supposed to do as much as a $500 Autel scanner. Other dongles in the $100 or less price range cannot see the stuff it can. There is one that claims to, which is by mythinkcar.com for like $120 but they require a subscription that is very confusing to understand what you get for your $. When companies make things confusing like that it's usually on purpose to get you locked in, then start milking more $ from you. So screw that place.
The Autel dongle only works with the Autel app btw, which is fine because it other apps wouldn't be able to do all the stuff it does. I wished it worked with apps like Torque but it's not a big deal becaue I bought this; amazon.com/dp/B00PJPHEBO which works fine with Torque and others app. In fact it works better than the three other more expensive dongles I tried including the OBDLink LX for $60, which I sent back for being completely pointless. Once connected the LX could perform as well a the cheapie one, but no better or faster as they claim btw, but the problem was connecting which usually took 5-20min. The cheapie connects in less than min to maybe a few min.
So I have that $70 Autel for serious digging around, and the $11 cheapie for Torque and everything else. Next was expensive Autel scanners (>$1k) or maybe the Launch X431 Pro for ~$800. The problem is figuring out what you get for your $. Like if I buy a $500, $1k or $3k Autel, what am I getting for the extra $? Good luck finding that out. The Launch X431 Pro is similar but at least it's much cheaper. What makes me VERY nervous about all of them is the Bluetooth connection. Companies think it's a cool selling point and even charge more for it, but from experience I can tell you that anything wireless is going fail and likely fail much sooner than anything else. Say you spend $800 and a year later it won't connect, now what? Plus, like the cheap dongles I have, you have to wait to connect and then there's random broken connections after that so I don't see any advantage over a wire but I see a lot of disadvantages. I asked Autel about that, and even said I would buy one of the more expensive units if it came with a wire for when the bluetooth failed. The answer was no, bluetooth only.
The dongles I have are wireless, but like the expensive scanners I had no choice. At least they're cheap so I can simply replace them when they die. Speaking of wireless fails; over the past two weeks the wifi to my dash cam failed, the wifi to one laptop failed, and a wifi power strip failed. Two of the obd2 dongles I had failed to connect, the last was maybe 3 weeks ago? Gave it to a friend because I have extras but he coudln't get it to work. I tried and no bluetooth connection. It had maybe 3 hours of use on it. That one was actually a replacement because the original didn't work out of the box. I have to replace my wifi router one a year, same with wif boosters.
There are lots of Launch and other scanners with various prices from <$100 to many hundreds, but again, good luck finding out what you get for the $. Sure they'll give a basic list if functions, or a comparo chart, but it doesn't actually tell you anything.
Wish I could give you more info but it's all I've managed to collect so far and I don't believe I'll ever get more unless I buy the products and try them, which is why I bought so many obd2 dongles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So true;
You describe my frustrations perfectly.
Bluetooth tell me about it. Has been a joke ever since it was invented and is most likely the biggest security risk on a mobile computer you can find. Absolute garbage that almost always dont work and as you say if it works, not for long. Sending files from android to my PC by bluetooth..what a joke. Somedays I have to click permission for every file I want to send ..annoying .. other days the same files or new files can just all be sent. Makes no sense.

Bluetooth worked for a whopping 1 hour on a new OBDII scanner I bought. It is useless now and I have to take cellphone pictures of the codes .. go figure!

The best I found actually are the ones Scotty Kilmer suggested. I cannot remember the $220 one he strongly recommends that will do MB transmission code resets if you change transmissions.

I will try that one and definitely what you suggest above too.

thanks you very much !!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was eyeing the corded version of that but I really wanted TPMS which they do have in that model, but bluetooth only. I know if I don't get TPMS I will immediately have a TPMS issue. Actually I kinda do now but not sure if it's fixable: I do not like running suggested tire pressure but if I'm just a pound or two below suggested it'll start crying about it and I get sick of clearing the alarm on the dash and the constant tire icon. Plus I worry if I really did have a flat, would it tell me now that I've cleared it? I don't know if it's possible but I'd like to dial the alarm down to ~24psi. I figured that would involve zeroing the sensor at the wrong pressure, like take it 24 but zero it as 34. Any ideas there?
Meanwhile my scanner search is still like a blind man deciding what TV he wants to buy. I told Autel it would be a novel idea to have instructions so people could get an idea of what each tool does. I mentioned that originally because the AP200 dongle had no instructions, just a quick guide with some very basic info, which was wrong anyway. I explained that to the rep and he sent me a link to the instructions, which was that same frikkin quik guide. So I got another rep and same thing so I'm starting to think they're automated responses. I'd ask specific questions and I'd get non-answers like a politician.
I also complained because I bought a 10" tablet specifically to better use these apps, but I was denied loading the Autel app on the tablet! It said not compatible on google play. I swear, electronics and the people behind them surprise me all the time. I think I've been screwed around every way possible, but nope, new ways all the time. So I backed up the app on my phone, then was going to xfer it manually to the tablet. This new tablet has no way to xfer data via a card or wire... It had to be wireless and yes it was a pita... I did it and got it working, not only that but it works better on there than my phone so why it was denied I have no idea. Autel has no clue why it was denied either, of course. So fyi if you get denied, that's the fix, and my tablet is a DragonTouch Max10.
Last week the Wavlink router people screwed me in yet another way I never expected, and hard, like gangbang no lube hard, but that's yet another electronics story. Just do yourself a favor and buy a different brand.

The main reason I want a scanner and am willing to buy a better one is I have a '16 E550 but power is nearly half what it's supposed to be. It runs fine, no codes, but when I floor it it's just like my old E350. All I can think of is it's the ECU being a stupid electronic device and doing what electronics to, which is not work right. But how do you figure that out? In the old days you simply swapped out electronic boxes and see what happens. With the ECU that's just short of impossible. I'm reading about someone who cloned a chinese ECU using chinese software and it worked, so he claims. The problem is if it's software then I just cloned the problem too, but watching the process of cloning was like the eye transplant scene in Minority Report. Basically I have extremely low expectations it would work in the first place, but it doesn't mean I won't try it since I don't have many options for a problem that has no clues.
I also worry about the tranny because if I ever have to swap out the TCU I'll have to program it. With mine it isn't just clearing codes, you apparently have to tell the tranny, and maybe the ecu too, that they need to play nice together. I asked Autel which model could do that and got a non-answer. I asked if the super $3k model will and I got "I think it will". Well wtf?! All I know for sure is some places that sell TCU's can program it for you, but you have to send it to them, pay like $300, and at some point it'll be in your hands again. I'm not that kind of person, once I start I want it finished and I'll work all night if I have to. I also don't want to pay anyone for anything I can do, even if the tool costs more than the service. Then I have the tool when it's all over so from that point on it's free for me and everyone I know. My guess is you're the same way.
There is one thing I haven't tried; justanswer.com/mercedes apparently it's a service where people with lots of experience will answer your questions for a fee. I'm wary but I read some forums where they really helped out. As for paying someone for what I can do, this is in a gray area. But they no doubt know what has to be done on your trans swap, and might even know what Autel will do it? I'm guessing most of them were dealer mechs and never saw an Autel but who knows... If you use them let me know how it went.

I just remembered something: I had a '99 CLK320 and the TCU took a dump and it locked itself in 2nd gear. I bought a used TCU on ebay and the seller wanted my vin to be sure it was right because apparently there's all kinds of bs differences in models and over time. I rec'd it, slapped it in and that was it. It's been a while but I don't recall clearing any codes, and if I did they were easy ones because this Autel AP200 is by far the most complex OBD tool I've ever used. So maybe just having the right TCU and conductor plate match up is all it needs? Or maybe you're in my boat where it needs actual programming, but fyi that was my experience.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts