Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mercedes S320 1997. I have 3 screw heads like 5 points star on top of the thermostat housing, What kind of tool do I have to use to lose them? Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sure they're 5? In the past when I have weird stuff like, and I'm not interested in buying the tool, I'll trim a slot screwdriver to force fit in two of the slots and use that. If I can't break it free with that I'll put vice grips on the head to add torque. If I can't fit those in there I'll use a chisel and catch the edge of the head with it and hammer it loose. This is all assuming you're unwilling to buy the correct tool...
If I've seen 5 on a Benz I don't recall it, but I have seen them and I thought they were only for security/anti-tamper situations? Most all bolts on the car will be regular 6 sided bolts or 6 sided Torx, which you can buy keys or bits for, but for that I'm guessing it's more like the E-Torx which is again 6 sides. All of those you can get them on Amazon or ebay or auto parts store. If it really is 5 then maybe look for a security bit set.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts