Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my C230 for a year and 7 months now and when looking under the hood i have noticed that there are two scoops for forced air into the engine. right above the radiator, you will find one scoop that goes directly into the airbox. There is another scoop to the left of it that goes nowhere. I was wondering if anyone knows what this other scoop is for, on the engine behind that scoop there also seems to be a flap that could possibly be opened. If anyone knows what this other scoop is for, or has retrofitted another air hose let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bccasu1 said:
Ive had my C230 for a year and 7 months now and when looking under the hood i have noticed that there are two scoops for forced air into the engine. right above the radiator, you will find one scoop that goes directly into the airbox. There is another scoop to the left of it that goes nowhere. I was wondering if anyone knows what this other scoop is for, on the engine behind that scoop there also seems to be a flap that could possibly be opened. If anyone knows what this other scoop is for, or has retrofitted another air hose let me know. Thanks.
You'll need to change the whole plastic piece if you want 2 opening unless you want to cut it yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lynn said:
The second air intake is used on the C240 and C320. The V6 engines have two air filters with an intake for each. I doubt that opening the second intake and connecting it to the existing or even aftermarket intake will gain anything.
You can open it up and use the air to cool the engine. As the kompressor engines get extremely hot even under slight use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My friend and I have looked the engine over and taken out the air filter to see where the second opening would go, it looks like my "mod" wont work. I figured that the tuners would have already figured this out seeing as it would be the easiest way to gain more HP. The second air scoop plastic piece pops right out, no trouble there. I was thinking about fabricating an open air filter by removing the filter box and placing a straight tube into the intake, the problem there would be finding a couple air filters small enough to fill the gap. they would have to sit one on top of the other...the space is not big enough to fit one big filter therefore i would need two smaller ones. I am thinking about a K&N filter...read the other threads and I recall Lynn saying that the K&N only reputedly gains 2-3 HP, right in the margin of error for a dyno. Im figuring that it is hard for the dyno testing area to compensate for wind flow at high speeds, thus making the K&N gain more HP with the forced air. Let me know if im way off on that assumption. I WILL find a way to utilize the second scoop...it stares me in the face everyday asking me to use it. Yes i am a little crazy. I am taking my car in for service B on monday, they also have to find a clunking noise in the front end which i am hoping is not a CV joint or part of my steering linkage. Ill keep everyone updated on what I do.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
9Grand said:
Lynn said:
The second air intake is used on the C240 and C320. The V6 engines have two air filters with an intake for each. I doubt that opening the second intake and connecting it to the existing or even aftermarket intake will gain anything.
You can open it up and use the air to cool the engine. As the kompressor engines get extremely hot even under slight use.
The air filter box blocks this opening on the 2002's. Someone on another board is looking into opening the second intake and feeding it in to the hose from the first opening on a 2003. I doubt that he will get much in the way of results, but we won't know for sure until he posts his before and after dyno charts.

If your kompressor is getting extremely hot, I suggest that you have it checked. My car never exceeds 85 degrees Celsius for the water temp.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
bccasu1 said:
I am thinking about a K&N filter...read the other threads and I recall Lynn saying that the K&N only reputedly gains 2-3 HP, right in the margin of error for a dyno. Im figuring that it is hard for the dyno testing area to compensate for wind flow at high speeds, thus making the K&N gain more HP with the forced air. Let me know if im way off on that assumption.
Dyno testing of a K&N filter on a 2.3 with a larger crank pulley to increase boost to about 10.5 psi gave a larger increase in hp than when tested with stock boost. About 2 hp more, if I remember correctly. The ITG filter showed larger gains than the K&N by about 2 hp in both stock and overboosted conditions. The same car and dyno were used in all the dyno runs. The ITG also filters much smaller particulates and flows better when dirty than the K&N. I don't use either. I still of the factory air filter.

bccasu1 said:
I am taking my car in for service B on monday, they also have to find a clunking noise in the front end which i am hoping is not a CV joint or part of my steering linkage. Ill keep everyone updated on what I do.
The good news is there are no CV joints in the front of the car because it is rear wheel drive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lynn said:
The air filter box blocks this opening on the 2002's. Someone on another board is looking into opening the second intake and feeding it in to the hose from the first opening on a 2003. I doubt that he will get much in the way of results, but we won't know for sure until he posts his before and after dyno charts.

If your kompressor is getting extremely hot, I suggest that you have it checked. My car never exceeds 85 degrees Celsius for the water temp.
The coolant temp doesn't go over 90. When you get in front of the car you can feel heatwave coming through the grille even after just short drive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts