Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
1993 SL500, 1998 SL500 Pano Top, 2005 ML270Cdi.
975 Posts
Hello, I know that you have been on our forum for quite a few years now but you still haven't completed your profile that would show your model of Mercedes-Benz. Reading your above post we do not know what model we are supposed to be looking at?

It's unusual for a serpentine belt to break as shown in your photo, they usually start to shred.
Just replacing a serpentine belt should not damage or stop the compressor from working.
Does your model have electric fans in front of the radiator? If yes, the air-con compressor will only kick in when the fans start. Check your fuse box for a blown electric fans fuse, this could be your very simple problem.

·
Administrator
975 Posts
I have read somewhere:
The air conditioning compressor is capable of breaking the serpentine belt a couple of ways. If the AC compressors seizes while operating, the shock load can snap the serpentine belt. If the AC clutch bearing seizes while the AC compressor is not operating, the belt can snap then as well.
We still have no idea what model the car is! Can you please help us to help you and complete your profile

·
Administrator
975 Posts
I checked and I cannot find anything to fill, but Mercedes C-class W205 is written in my profile.
OK, I can see where you wrote C-class W205 in Personal Details, it should be written in Profile Info. I've now added it into your Profile Info.
Your model is now is displayed under your avatar so everyone can see what car you own (y)

·
Administrator
975 Posts
Thank you, but hard to believe that it's just a coincidence that the compressor stopped after the serpentine broke ?
I am sure that it cannot start but yes, if I was lucky it could be only a fuse ? So I should check fuse for fans and compressor ?
Yes, definitely check the fuses, this happened on my SL500 recently when the aircon compressor would not kick in, the engine fan fuse had failed. When I replaced the fuse the aircon was back again.

With your car there are three fuse boxes (see attached PDF file) I would check the A/C system and maybe the Engine Electronics.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts