Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
C-class W205
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sepentine broke (cut), now air conditioner compressor doesn't start anymore, could it be related ? Solution: change it only ?

hello, thank you if someone can tell me if my only solution is to change the air condition compressor or if I should investigate more ?

I was driving, then got a battery alarm on the dashboard, I stopped and the serpentine was broken.
After replacing it, car is fine, but air conditioner compressor does not start anymore.

As I have to pay it upfront without being sure that my compressor is dead, I am wondering if I should test something first, and have a confirmation that the compressor must be changed ? Any way to know that the compressor is faulty before buying the new one ?

Thank you if you have any idea, I checked shops around and I was only told that I must replace it.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
C-class W205
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, I know that you have been on our forum for quite a few years now but you still haven't completed your profile that would show your model of Mercedes-Benz. Reading your above post we do not know what model we are supposed to be looking at?

It's unusual for a serpentine belt to break as shown in your photo, they usually start to shred.
Just replacing a serpentine belt should not damage or stop the compressor from working.
Does your model have electric fans in front of the radiator? If yes, the air-con compressor will only kick in when the fans start. Check your fuse box for a blown electric fans fuse, this could be your very simple problem.

Thank you, but hard to believe that it's just a coincidence that the compressor stopped after the serpentine broke ?
I am sure that it cannot start but yes, if I was lucky it could be only a fuse ? So I should check fuse for fans and compressor ?

·
Registered
C-class W205
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read somewhere:
The air conditioning compressor is capable of breaking the serpentine belt a couple of ways. If the AC compressors seizes while operating, the shock load can snap the serpentine belt. If the AC clutch bearing seizes while the AC compressor is not operating, the belt can snap then as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts