Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there I just want to know if someone can inform me of what exactly needs to be done for the scheduled SERVICE A? (the one at 14,000km)

Oil related questions...

Type to use for Summer 30c /Winter -10c weather?

Is there a dipstick?

Is Oil maintence covered under the warranty of the vehicle in Canada?

Any help would be useful, thanks in advanced!

Benzer03

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
In the package with the operator's manual, you will find the "Service Booklet". The info on what should be done for Service A and Service B are in it.

The oil your dealer uses should be good year around. Another booklet you should have is entitled "Factory Approved Service Products". It has a chart showing what weight of oil is good for various ambient temperatures.

If your car is a 2003, as I assume for your screen name, it does not have a dipstick.

Canadians do not get "free" maintenance. Then again, you pay less for your cars. We, in the US, pay more for the cars to get the "free" services.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lynn, I guess what im trying to figure out is if I can do everything on my own or use my friends garage to do SERVICE A. I dont have book here so was just wondering what there was to complete. Can I reset the service mode once I do my own Service A or can the dealer only do that? Some cars have a button under dash!
I have a 03 c230 btw

Thanks again..

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had service questions when I bought my wife's C230WZ. I wanted to know if I could change the oil mid cycle (I think 10000-12000 miles is too long even with synthetics). I was wanting to change the filter and oil myself at approx half the mileage (5000-6000 miles) and then let the dealer do it under the scheduled maintenance routine at 10000-12000 miles. I do this in my Cooper S.

They said that because there is an electronic sensor that measures oil level in place of the dip stick, if I drain the oil and refill, it will automatically reset the indicator clock to go another 10000 to 12000 miles. Theoretically, if I change the oil every 5000 miles, the oil service indicator would never turn on and I would not get the benefit of the "free" maintenance.

I have not checked with any other dealer to see if I get the same story. Could this be correct?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
It is not true for the M111 engine in my car, but I am not sure about the M271 in your car. One thing I do know is that the M271 FSS can measure the quality of the oil. Adding or changing the oil may extend the mileage on the FSS. Ask your dealer if they will change the oil every 10,000 regardless of what the FSS says.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FSS, on a different motor

On my C32 I replaced oil 2x between services, with no ill affects on the FSS. (This is the 6 cyl C320 type motor, different than yours but same FSS calculations I bet)

So for me, whatever "oil quality" it measures isn't nearly as important as the "mileage" towards the FSS calculation.

Meaning I replaced at 5k and Service A stayed basically at 10k.
Then I replaced at 15k and FSS for Service B indicates 20k.

You should be safe. Try it. If your FSS indication does extend out you can still get a service. (I checked my dealer before I made my first oil change).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will do 1 oil change @ 5000 miles have dealer do it @ 10k and so forth. I think 10k between oil changes is too long.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic in my 350Z and I change it every 3k better safe than sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts