Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1990 300E with 110,000 miles and I have not had it serviced, yet. My oil light has been coming on periodically, and when I checked it, it appears to need 1/2 a quart. I want to take it somewhere to have the oil changed and to have it checked out.

My question is: should I take it to a dealer (The guy before me took it to the dealer near me, mostly) and spend more cash? Or since it's 14 years old, would an independent MBZ facility be ok? The independent garage claims to use MBZ parts as well.

This is the first Benz I've ever owned and although I am not made of $, I would like to take proper care of it.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :wink:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome! :)

Welcome to BenzForum and the community of Benz owners.

My advice would be to find a good independent for any significant work and consider doing-it-yourself when it comes to routine items like changing the oil. The oil light is a warning as to the level of the oil. Pay attention to the oil pressure gauge in addition to the oil light. The 300E is a great car.

In my opinion, the way to go for any repair work needed would be DIY or use a good independent. You might want to talk with other MBZ owners in your area to see who they recommend. A good way to meet other owners locally would be to join the local section of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America (MBCA) if there is one active in your area. You can go to the MBCA site to locate a section near you www.mbca.org

1 - 2 of 2 Posts