Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 300te has a suddently developed a near deadly shake in the front end if I hit slightest bump at 60+mph in any right hand turn mode.

It keeps shaking no matter what course I steer until speed drops below 50. I can still steer the car although somewhat difficult due to violent shudder.

It is not initiated by braking and braking makes no difference.

All front end connections are good (they were checked by a front end shop). Wheels are good, tires are 60% tread with even air pressure.

I thought it might be the 4 matic, but it does the same thing with the 4 matic turned off.

Could it be power steering pump failing? Any other ideas??? Help?

Thanks, G

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
As stupid as it may sound, you need to get your front tires balanced before proceeding with the diagnosis. There is no way to accurately identify the cause of your vibration if you can't guarantee the front tires are perfectly in balance. I recommend any shop that uses the Hunter 9700 balancer with the road force measurement. This will allow you to better localize where it stems from. Iwould put the car up on and check all the joints myself with a set of channel lock pliers to see if there is any play at all. There are so many things in the front end that could cause this, from tires to wheels to suspension components. Normally, these things are pretty apparent to a savvy tech. I wouldn't lose hope. Get the balanceing done and take it to a shop that knows MB cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU SAID THAT- I HAVE A 1986 300SDL, 206K MILES- HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING THE EXACT SAME THING FOR QUITE A WHILE NOW- HAVE GONE THRU THE FRONT END- EVERYTHING IS FINE- AM GOING TO TRY NEW TIRES- HOPE IT HELPS- LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OUT- I NEED A FIX

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mystery shake at speed in right turn

I also just had the exact same problem develop a about a month ago in my '91 300TE 4Matic (about 125,000 miles). Any kind of right turn at higher speed (especially exit ramps) causes extreme shaking from the front suspension. I haven't dug too far into it, but a quick look didn't find anything loose. I'm interested if someone finds a solution.

Dave

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In these scenarios, an undercar inspection is necessary to figure out exactly what needs to be addressed. There are a lot of joints and bushings in that front suspension that are wear items and can cause complaints such as these. If you are concerned about the safety of the vehicle you need to consult a professional. It is not only your own safety you are gambling with by neglecting the maintenance of your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Stan-
Like so many things in the automotive world, the only way to know for sure is to actually look at it. There are so many different things that could cause similar symptoms as those mentioned here. We can only offer educated guesses based on real world experiences with these cars and complaints. Forums like this are very helpful to help narrow down what the cause of a particular issue is, but it is impossible for me (or anyone) to ever say exactly what is wrong with a car without actually driving/inspecting it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts