Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we got our coupe I went to pull up on the shifter to stick it in reverse and the knob and boot ripped right off. The dealer (sales guy) said that when they installed the cd changer they had removed the dash and subsequently the shifter knob. When they put it back together they broke one of the plastic tabs on the knob and that's why it came loose. So they ordered a new one. (Kinda embarassing showing your buddies your brand new Benz and the shifter coming off every time they would touch it. "Oh yeah... they ordered me a new one of those" I would say) New one is now on. A couple weeks later the new one comes off. It's not broken this time... but it comes off. And I don't yank on it. It seems when the car's been parked in the hot sun and the interior is quite hot, the knob just slides off. Has this happened to others? It's a pretty cheasy detail. It's all plastic. Other standard cars I have owned had knobs that screwed on... not just friction fit with plastic. Embarrassing, this can be. Dangerous too!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how it's assembled. When it's real hot in the car, the plastic parts expand. Not a great system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mine is in Florida in the hot sun all day sometimes, and I (thankfully) haven't had a problem yet (only had it 4+ months).
Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts