Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying a 2000 E320 with 47K miles from a reputable dealer.My mechanic says it is in good shape. I am being offered an extended 4year/100k warranty for $1895. I anticipate putting 9,000 miles/year on it-easy driving in Northern California. This is my 1st MB, so any feedback is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Unless you are an experienced DIYer with a hook up at one of your local dealers for wholesale pricing on parts, the warranty would probably be a pretty good idea. Once that steering rack starts moaning (and it will), you'll be out close to $1500.00 without any labor or the alignment.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The steering rack was located too close to the exhaust manifolds on the vehicle. Because of the tremendous amount of heat in that region, a very important internal radial seal tends to rupture in the steering racks and they leak internally. It won't cause any sort of real failure, but it will cause excessive noise and vibration to be transmitted up through the wheel. The racks are rebuildable, but it rarely seems to help for very long. Replacement seems to be the only cure, and even then, it will happen again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow! Didn't know about that. I've already noticed some oil arround that part but Mercedes mechanics say it's something "normal" ("it always pour a littlebit..."). Maybe that problem is less frequent because it's much colder here in Canada...? I'll ask my advisor to know and I'll come back with an answer. You afraided me... 8O

1 - 5 of 5 Posts