Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 190E 2.6.

I have 3 peculiarities with the transmission:

1)When completely cold, it will need to be driven for 200-400m before it will upshift from first. This does not happen when I idle for a minute or two before driving.
2)When coming to a stop, the car will downshift from 2nd to 1st rather harshly, jerking the car. It does not do this with consistent harshness.
3)It over-rev (slip) when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear when accelerating, the more throttle, the more slippage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check your vacuum hose connecting the modulator valve located forward from shift linkage on the drivers side of transmission.

Without vacuum, or faulty modulator valve, you have described some of the symtoms associated. The modulator valve adjuster (under the rubber dime size, cap - clockwise to harsh, counter clockwise to soften) the transmission to shift smoothly from one gear to another without over-damp flaring, or hard shifting. It should be adjusted somewhere between these two conditions.

Also, there is a bowden cable connecting from throttle linkage, to transmission. Make sure connection is good and cable integrity is sound. The bowden cable adjusts gear shifting relative to engine rpm.

Check transmission fluid (hot) if not clear pink/red, change.

Also check drive shafts rubber flex-disc at transmission yoke and differential, also center shaft bearing and it's rubber housing for integrity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts